The Purdue On-the-Farm (POTF) Senior Administrator is a visionary leader in advancing Purdue Applied Research and Extension’s mission by strategically planning and executing Purdue University’s Extension activities on campus and in the counties related to on-farm research, field scouting, and demonstration programs. This position collaborates with the Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Education, the Assistant Program Leader for Agriculture and Natural Resources, the Director and Assistant Director of the Purdue Agriculture Centers (PACs), faculty leaders, extension specialists, and educators. This individual empowers farmers and various organizations across the state to adopt and benefit from best practices for farm operations including digital Ag technologies. The POTF Administrator also actively seeks out and fosters meaningful partnerships and works together on common issues and opportunities related to digital ag innovation with other on-farm research programs nationwide.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Leads the development and execution of program objectives, including securing small and large grant funding to establish a Purdue Agriculture Extension and applied research and demonstration program that addresses the current and emerging needs of the agricultural sector
- Develops and implements program evaluation and improvement strategies to ensure program effectiveness and sustainability and reports on program outcomes and impacts to relevant stakeholders
- Collaborates with Extension specialists, Coordinators, Educators, and research faculty to design, implement, and disseminate sustainability research and demonstration projects at Purdue Agricultural Centers (PACs) and with collaborating farmers (on-farm research)
- Works with farmers, researchers, and others to collect and analyze data, monitor progress, and evaluate innovative technologies that enhance the sustainability of cropping systems.
- Provides ongoing engagement, outreach, and visibility with POTF stakeholders by visiting producers, processors, distributors, sellers, and consumers to ensure that Purdue Cooperative Extension maintains its role as the premier source of educational information and assistance for targeted clientele, including farmers, state, multistate, and federal agencies
- Directs and oversees the development and delivery of professional programs for Extension educators, specialists, and partner agency personnel in these areas and evaluates their effectiveness and impact
- Identifies and pursues critical professional development opportunities to enhance Extension’s capacity to deliver high-quality local programming, soil conservation, and production related to agriculture
- Serves and plays an active and influential role on university, regional, and statewide boards and committees relevant to sustainable agriculture and Extension’s mission
- Establishes and maintains additional partnerships and working relationships with other agricultural enterprises, including but not limited to agriculture advocacy groups, agriculture lenders, and agriculture retailers, to foster the understanding and adoption of conservation cropping systems that improve soil health and profitability
What We’re Looking For:
- Master’s degree in agronomy, forestry, or related disciplines
- 6 years of experience and statewide recognition for engagement in innovative Extension and outreach programming
- Demonstrated expertise in building collaborative teams for program delivery
- Excellent communication and people skills and the ability to lead, manage, motivate, and assess the performance of others
- Proven ability to engage productively with diverse stakeholders, faculty, and Extension educators
- Candidates will promote and inspire a collaborative environment that encourages the open exchange of ideas and innovations through a culturally and intellectually diverse environment
- Ability to identify opportunities, act promptly and effectively, and use the skills and resources of Purdue Extension to overcome challenges
Nice to Have:
What We’d Like You to Know:
- To learn more about Purdue’s benefits summary
- Purdue will not sponsor employment authorization for this position
- A background check will be required for employment in this position
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible For Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contributions immediately
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply
What You’ll Get in Return:
All university employees are afforded a generous benefits package, https://www.purdue.edu/hr/benewell/index.php, including medical/dental/vision insurance, paid time off, and retirement contributions. As part of Purdue University’s expansive employee benefit package, the University is proud to offer its employees the opportunity to grow, learn, and advance by offering a tuition remission opportunity at both Purdue University and Purdue Global.
Take Your Next Giant Leap
We never stop, we keep going, because Discovery is in our DNA, and we want you to discover a Career at Purdue University! Come work alongside a family of diverse culture with faculty, students, and staff who come together to become one, Boilermakers! Our greatest adventures are yet to come, and we want to include you.
Come take your Next Giant Leap and Discover your next career!