Corteva Agriscience creates the world’s most recognized and premium agricultural solutions to address the greatest challenges in agriculture. With a focus on technology, Corteva Agriscience creates seed and crop protection products that increase productivity and profit for farmers while reducing risks to their business. Every day our digital tools deliver insights our global partners need to thrive now and into the future.
As the world’s first dedicated agriculture start-up, we’re building a culture that stays curious, thinks differently, acts boldly and takes a stand on what’s right for our customers, our co-workers, our partners and our planet. We know we’ve got big challenges to solve – we hope you’ll be part of the solution. Whether you are in the lab or on the farm, teaching classes or crafting code – we need bold thinkers and fearless doers to bring their best to the job at hand. Every role at Corteva Agriscience includes an opportunity to grow what matters.
Corteva Agriscience has an exciting opportunity for a Patent Agent.
How will you help us grow? It matters to us, and it matters to you!
Seeking a new and challenging opportunity to further enhance your patent agent career? Corteva Agriscience, located in Johnston, Iowa has an opening for an experienced U.S. Patent Agent. This is a highly visible, key role within Corteva’s Intellectual Property group which provides an exciting opportunity to work closely with an in-house legal team and scientists involved in a variety of R&D innovations such as CRISPR. An individual well-suited to this position must exhibit vision, integrity, commitment, leadership, self-motivation, maturity and judgement.
The Patent Agent role has diverse responsibilities including U.S. patent drafting, U.S. and foreign patent prosecution, patent administrative proceedings, IP portfolio strategy, invention development, inventor education, patentability and landscape analysis.
The Corteva Patent Agent has diverse responsibilities including, but not limited to:
- U.S. patent drafting.
- U.S. and foreign patent prosecution.
- Patent administrative proceedings.
- IP portfolio strategy.
- Invention development.
- Inventor education.
- Patentability and landscape analysis.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities – How will you help us grow?
To be qualified for this role, you must possess the following:
- B.S. degree and strong background within biotechnology, microbiology, biochemistry, genetics or molecular biology is a must have requirement.
- Advanced degrees in these previous fields is preferred.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in drafting and/or prosecuting biotech patent applications as a Registered U.S. Patent Agent.
- Drafted and filed at least 15 priority patent applications on distinct inventions during the past 3 years.
- Capability of connecting scientific details of research projects with patentability considerations.
- Experience working with foreign associates to assist and coordinate filing and prosecution of international patent matters is preferred
- Ability to work independently and proactively with minimal direction.
- Ability to maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or work environment and to facilitate implementation and acceptance of change within the work place.
- Strong organizational skills, keen attention to detail, and ability to prioritize projects and meet aggressive deadlines.
- Superior communication, influencing and networking skills.
- Outstanding writing skills as demonstrated by original writing samples of patent applications, prosecution submissions, memorandums, and other communications.The following skill sets are preferred by the Legal function but not necessary:
The following skill sets are preferred by the Legal function but not necessary:
- Advanced (M.S. or Ph.D.) degree with focus on biotechnology, microbiology, biochemistry, genetics, molecular biology.
- Post-graduate R&D laboratory experience for 2 or more years.
- Some law firm experience is a plus.
- Experience with independently prosecuting large patent dockets.
- Experience with developing and implementing IP strategies, IP portfolio analyses, and/or landscape mapping.
- Experience in working with business and technical teams to develop IP strategies for technical programs.
We care about you and we care that you’re comfortable. While there’s no place like home, Corteva comes close.
Let’s peek at just a few of the advantages to working at Corteva and how you can grow your wellbeing, health, and future.
- Strike a better work-life balance with robust time off benefits including paid maternity, paternal and family illness leave.
- Prepare for your future with our competitive retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement program, and more.
- Enjoy access to health benefits for you and your family on your first day of employment.
- And much, much more
Take the next step to #GrowWhatMatters in your career with Corteva and apply today. We look forward to seeing your application.
Our Johnston, Iowa campus is home to 2,500 employees whose mission is simple – to feed the world. While our employees are busy working to solve world hunger and ensure environmental sustainability, we’re taking care of them by offering convenience and comfort during the workday with an onsite fitness center, coffee shop and top-notch cafeteria touting a grill, deli, fresh salad bar and a variety of healthy menu options. Need some fresh air during your work day? Take advantage of our beautiful, tree-lined walking trails or relax by the pond. We also offer countless opportunities to connect with your colleagues through community volunteerism, parties, and holiday events. Did we mention you’ll be working in state-of-the art buildings with the latest technology with colleagues from all over the world? Join us in bringing food into homes around the world, while we make you feel at home while you’re at work.
Des Moines, Iowa is the fastest-growing major metropolitan area in the Midwest with a nationally ranked high quality of living. It’s nicknamed the Silicon Prairie for its place as an up-and-coming hot spot for technology. Living here means Saturdays at the nationally renowned Downtown Farmers’ Market, sporting events, a robust downtown night life and access to one of the most artistic medium sized cities. If you enjoy the outdoors, Des Moines offers beautiful nature trails for a casual walking, running or biking adventures.
It means going to a job you love and coming home to a community of friends and family. Communities care about their residents and residents care about their communities, making a difference for everyone who lives here. This is a place where culture flourishes and opportunities grow, where a work-life balance can be achieved, where education is unmatched, and award-winning arts and entertainment are right around the corner.
Corteva Agriscience™ is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to boldly embracing the power of inclusion, diversity, and equity to enrich the lives of our employees and strengthen the performance of our company, while advancing equity in agriculture. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other protected class. Discrimination, harassment and retaliation are inconsistent with our values and will not be tolerated.