ABOUT THE ROLE…
Inari is seeking a highly motivated and experienced leader in predictive computational biology to join our science organization. As a member of the Science Leadership Team, you will (1) contribute to driving the scientific vision and strategy of Inari, (2) supervise projects and teams in the area of computational biology, (3) drive and cultivate innovation and (4) contribute to the development of people and a high performance science organization. This role reports directly to the Chief Scientific Officer.
AS A VP OF COMPUTATIONAL BIOLOGY YOU WILL…
Contribute to the overall science strategy at Inari with an emphasis on developing, implementing and leading a strategy for:
- Integrating computational biology and machine learning into our activities, and developing applications to enhance our ability to produce and integrate our own unique, contemporary genetic and genomic high-dimensional data into novel predictive and generative models that will set us apart from our competitors
- Ensuring the production, analysis and integration of relevant and high quality data across our application domains which include genetic target discovery, gene regulation, plant characterization, genome editing experiments, protein engineering and enzyme optimization…
- Integrating statistical and analytical tools to render disparate data sets accessible to data science and machine learning algorithms.
- Determining scope, risk assessment, and data/resource requirements surrounding new data-driven computational projects.
YOUR ACCOUNTABILITIES ARE TO…
- Supervise and guide projects related to predictive computational biology in our science portfolio
- Plan for and manage resources in the science organization
- Drive and communicate to diverse stakeholders the vision, strategy and achievements of the Science organization
- Attract, engage, develop and retain talent – bringing diversity of thought and background
- Work closely with the software engineering team and our Product Organization to ensure efficient development and application of machine learning at Inari
- Work with the Inari Leadership team to contribute to the development and deployment our long term strategy
YOUR KEY RELATIONSHIPS…
- Reports to: Chief Scientific Officer
- Peers: VP of Research- Design and Discovery, VP of Research-Genome editing, Senior Director Scientific Expertise, Head of Software Engineering, Director of External innovation,Senior IP Counsel, Talent and culture manager
- Direct Reports: Scientists and experts leading and/or engaged in projects in the area of data science and machine learning
- PhD in STEM field such as computational biology, genetics, computer science, physics, mathematics or equivalent experience in an industry context with a master or bachelor degree
- At least 10 years of demonstrated academic or industry experience in leading complex research projects and developing people
- Ability to bridge the gap between genetics/biology and data science to ensure fruitful integration of disciplines and interaction between cross-functional people within the organization working towards a common goal
- Strong knowledge of different neural network architectures and of methods from the fields of natural language processing (and computer vision) and an understanding of how to apply these methods to solve biological problems.
- Strong experience in writing creative code to solve relevant scientific problems
- Experience in creating and managing FTO and IP of computer/AI-related innovations
- Demonstrated track record of complex problem solving, critical thinking and leading others to achieve novel insights, as well as driving a culture of innovation
- Capacity to drive and clearly articulate vision and purpose
- Ability to step up to address difficult issues, capacity to receive and provide constructive and actionable feedback to foster continuous self and organization improvement
- Being a team player with demonstrated ability to build/lead functional teams and instill trust
- Proven record of developing people and creating an environment where people can learn and thrive
- Ability to work well with very diverse group of people and multidisciplinary teams, and to embrace and nurture diversity
- Capacity to manage ambiguity and uncertainty, remain calm and operate effectively in fast growing and risk taking environments
- Effective communication skills at different levels of an organization
- You have worked in data science at a biotechnology firm. Bonus points for agtech.