The Purdue University Veterinary Hospital is looking for an enthusiastic credentialed veterinary technician to work with our Large Animal Surgery Team. This team works closely with both equine and farm animal surgeons and residents assisting with a wide variety of orthopedic, soft tissue and standing surgeries, both pre and post-operative recheck appointments, and hospitalized patient treatments. The Large Animal Surgery team works M-F with rotating on-call responsibilities for nights, weekends, and holidays.
The veterinary technicians at Purdue have the opportunity to continually learn new skills and techniques. This knowledge leads to teaching those skills to veterinary and veterinary nursing students. We are looking for someone with a good base knowledge of surgical assisting and animal handling as well as having a great attitude and desire to learn.
The Purdue Veterinary Hospital values credentialed veterinary technicians for the skill and knowledge they bring to the hospital, students, and patients. Purdue University, located in West Lafayette, Indiana, is a beautiful campus that supports both a College of Veterinary Medicine as well as an Associate and Bachelor degree program in Veterinary Nursing. All veterinary nurses in the hospital teach and mentor students throughout the year. As a university employee, veterinary staff are afforded a generous benefits package including medical/dental/vision insurance, paid time off, and retirement contributions.
- Graduate of AVMA accredited veterinary technology program
- Must be RVT in Indiana within 12 months of starting employment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Willing to teach clinical skills and concepts to students
- Ability to work under pressure in emergency situations
- Experience working with horses, cows, pigs, goats, and sheep
- Large animal surgery experience
- Experience working in a veterinary teaching hospital or specialty veterinary hospital
- Purdue will not sponsor work authorization for this position.
- A background check is required for employment in this position
- This was formerly classified as an operational/technical position; an internal lateral transfer will retain same benefit standing.
- FLSA: Non-Exempt (Eligible for Overtime)
- Retirement: Non-exempt Defined Contribution Plan
- Purdue University is an EEO/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply