The Purdue University Veterinary Hospital is looking for an enthusiastic credentialed veterinary technician to work with our Large Animal Surgery Team. This team works closely with boarded surgeons, residents, and interns assisting a wide variety of soft tissue and orthopedic procedures, diagnostic exams and treatments, and patient care support. The Large Animal Surgery team works Monday-Friday with rotating on-call responsibilities for nights, weekends, and holidays.
All veterinary technicians in the Teaching Hospital have the opportunity to continually learn new skills and techniques. This knowledge leads to teaching those skills to veterinary and veterinary technician students. We are looking for someone with a solid base knowledge of physiology, disease processes, anesthesia skills, and a great attitude.
The Purdue Veterinary Hospital values credentialed veterinary technicians for the skill and knowledge they bring to the hospital, students, and patients. Purdue University, located in West Lafayette, Indiana, is a beautiful campus that supports both a College of Veterinary Medicine as well as an Associate and Bachelor degree program in Veterinary Nursing. All technicians in the hospital teach and mentor students throughout the year. As a university employee, technicians are afforded a generous benefits package including medical/dental/vision insurance, paid time off, and retirement contributions.
This posting may be filled at multiple levels (S3 or S4). The hiring manager will determine the job level based on the skills, experience, and qualifications of the selected candidate.
- Associate’s degree or Bachelor’s degree from an AVMA accredited Veterinary Technology
- Associate’s degree or Bachelor’s degree from an AVMA accredited Veterinary Technology program
- Two years of experience as a credentialed veterinary technician
- Candidates must be registered as veterinary technician in Indiana no later than twelve (12) months after hire date
- Computer skills (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Hospital Information Systems)
- Ability to work under pressure in emergency situations
- Good oral/written communication skills; ability to follow verbal and written instructions
- Ability to handle the physical and emotional aspect of work in a veterinary hospital environment
- Ability to lift and carry 25-50 pounds frequently and 60 pounds occasionally
- All new hires will be expected to follow Protect Purdue guidelines. To learn more visit: https://bit.ly/3DH3z6f
- To learn more about Purdue’s benefits visit: https://bit.ly/3zA1Qxb
- This was formerly classified as an operational/technical position; an internal lateral transfer will retain same benefit standing
- Purdue will not sponsor employment authorization for this position
- A background check will be required for employment in this position
- FLSA: Non-Exempt (Eligible For Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Non-exempt Defined Contribution Plan
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply