Interested in joining a cause-driven, customer focused company dedicated to positively impacting the health of animals, people and the planet? Search our job listings below.
As a Veterinarian at our Ft. Dodge, Iowa site you will provide critical, specific technical resource and technical leadership for the Global Clinical Operations team.
One will meet all needs at the site for veterinary expertise including experimental design, all veterinary aspects of research protocol execution, study driven regulatory compliance, AAALAC requirements, veterinary diagnostics, treatment, gross pathology, and emergency veterinary care.
Functions, Duties, Tasks:
- Provide leadership and guidance to all clinical personnel.
- Perform study related procedures, observations, sample collection, and data collection.
- Implement emergency treatments, animal evaluations, and appropriate disposition activities.
- Provide hands-on execution of basic and advanced clinical techniques.
- Train basic and advanced clinical procedures to study execution associates.
- Maintain current knowledge of relevant veterinary procedures and trends by participating in, and/or with professional organizations, continuing education, external collaborators, and interacting with leading scientists and authorities to support R&D clinical activities.
- Work with the R&D scheduling team to coordinate weekly clinical tasks for veterinary involvement and guidance.
- Consult and provide support and expertise on clinical, operational, and AW components on study protocol development for clinical trials.
- Coordinate with Animal Welfare Veterinarians to design, implement, and monitor biosecurity and biocontainment procedures.
- Active participation in new animal facility design and implementation efforts, to include renovations.
- Ensure studies are executed in accordance with all regulations, the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, and the Guide for the Care and Use of Agricultural Animals in Research and Teaching as well as additional site accreditation (AAALAC).
- Support the design and development of the site husbandry and clinical program.
- Ensure compliance with GXP processes.
- Support herd/colony health monitoring.
- Rotate on-call schedule with Animal Welfare Veterinarians
- DVM required, current license to practice in the United States.
- At least 1+ years working in an Animal Welfare-regulated environment.
- 3+ years working in the Animal Health industry with pre-clinical and clinical model understanding.
- Strong field and laboratory clinical skills.
- Experience with USDA regulations as well as the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals and the Guide for the Care and Use of Agricultural Animals in Research and Teaching.
- Prior facility audit experience.
- Familiarity with common animal health-related certification for both personnel and programs.
- Comfort at leading indirectly through influence.
- Able to work both independently and in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Advanced ability to effectively communicate verbally (particularly during conflict management) and in writing
- Experience with third party AW accreditation process for an animal research facility
- Travel 0-15%
- Relocation benefits eligible
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status