The Sr. Director – Global Legal Operations (GLO), is a leading role in our Legal Operations group working with other legal colleagues to fulfill our operations mission for all strategic department initiatives, such as budgeting and resource allocation, contract management, systems integration, billing and invoicing, measuring department success and defining priorities. This hands-on role will be strategic and tactical, liaise with leaders of other key corporate functions and will report to the Head of Global Legal Operations.
- Lead and Manage Legal department operations including metrics/client satisfaction measures, department communications and policies
- Set the technology strategy for the Legal Department
- Develop annual operating plans and budget, manage reporting of all financials and related activities, and quarterly forecast updates
- Set the vision for law firm engagement strategy in alignment with department needs and procurement philosophies as defined by General Counsel’s vision for outside counsel management
- Oversee the rhythm of the business of the legal department for goal-setting, reporting on progress, alignment to business goals and cadence/agenda of department meetings
- Work with Head of GLO, General Counsel and department leads to facilitate performance review process and liaise with HR
- Develop and manage the strategic plan for the overall operations roadmap
- Work cross-functionally with professionals in HR, Finance, IT, and others.
- Ensure timely fulfillment of operational responsibilities by attorneys, administration staff and cross-functional others associated with life-cycle management issues, invoicing and spend management, litigation hold and e-discovery activities, external service provider compliance and engagement, and more.
- Manage new hire onboarding processes for the legal department and support legal leaders directly
- Manage the workstreams and processes of legal operations, improving processes and looking for efficiencies, while documenting and educating others on how the processes operate
- Manage the professional development program for the department, cross-department training opportunities and education on department best practices
- Manage the legal support team of para-professionals and ensure alignment to department leader priorities
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 10 years’ operations experience, in a corporate legal environment;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience managing an operations team of 7 or more direct employee reports, globally;
- Proven experience in successfully bringing technology-based and analytical solutions to improve efficiency and effectivity in the legal operation;
- Proven experience in process improvements to bring significant savings to operations, processes and technology for legal;
- Proven experience in successful development of operations staff (people) for growth within an operations group;
- Familiarity with best practice of legal operations and the latest developments in legal technology and innovative solutions
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively across a multi-functional, global team
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage decentralized others, effecting a team-led environment
- Proven and continued hands-on engagement in each area of responsibility of spend management, contract management, department management, e-discovery and litigation, and professional legal support.
- Strong negotiator and creative problem-solver
- Self-starter requiring minimal oversight or direct management
- Proven team leader and team player who values each team member, demonstrably mentors and grows team members, and has competently and professionally stepped in to assist members in previous projects to ensure a successful team outcome.
- Demonstrated project/process management experience
Strong collaboration skills, with an ability to build relationships both within a team and across external departments
- Proactive, entrepreneurial approach to recognizing needs, solving problems, anticipating issues and developing solutions; excellent business judgment and strategic thinking
- Attention to detail with excellent time management and multitasking/prioritization abilities
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office including Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Word
- Proven ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and responsibilities
Additional Skills & Preferences:
- Membership CLOC, ALOP, etc.
- Green Belt or higher, Six Sigma;
- Masters in business administration, finance, operations, etc.
- Project Management or advanced project management Certification
- J.D. or equivalent legal department experiences as a foundation with extensive leadership and contribution in legal operations
Auto populated: “Do Not Enter in Job Description” field.
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status