Interested in joining a cause-driven, customer focused company dedicated to positively impacting the health of animals, people and the planet? Search our job listings below.
- The Assistant General Counsel (AGC) – Patents, is a key legal IP role in our department, encompassing clearances, innovation assessment, hands-on and managed prosecution, IP process and policy, and competitive intelligence activities; the role is a new role, reporting into the Global Intellectual Property (IP) function.
- Responsible for counselling a business area on patent matters, patentability positions, and understanding possible related rights, subject to attorney oversight.
- Identifying inventions and drafting patent applications
- Participating in creation, harvesting, problem solving analyses, and invention review committees (IRCs)
- Assisting, as may be directed by attorney(s), in prosecuting patent applications directly with the USPTO & worldwide though our network of agents
- Drafting FTO, initial opinions positions, and awareness assessments in matters of commercial importance
- Supporting on-going, Business Development and new venture initiatives, from time-to-time, and primarily managing multiple portfolios of high importance and value to the company.
- Reviewing intellectual property rights held by the company, by third parties, and as may be purported to exist in various mediums
- Assist in conducting IP due diligence in connection with any potential acquisitions or divestitures from time to time, as directed by group counsel or Chief IP Officer (CIPO)
- Develop and assess patent and IP related rights while effectively communicating outcomes, including visual explanations, claim charts, inventive comparisons, statutory assessments, etc.
- Developing and reporting on associated competitive data analytics with client focus for certain matters.
- Scientific undergraduate degree
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, analytical chemistry, biochemistry, or similar.
- Post-graduate Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA-qualified US Law school (J.D.)
- Active USPTO attorney or agent registration in good standing is mandated
- At least three (3) years in practice and experience (post-JD) in providing proven, high-quality, IP/legal counsel work, advice and guidance involving IP, legal support independently and via senior legal leaders, and similar, with a major corporation and/or law firm
- Significant experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications in biochemical, small molecule API, polymorph, crystal form, molecular biological, immunology, pharmacokinetic, and/or pharmaceutical formulations space
- Clear and proven understanding of global interplay of regulatory and patent frameworks, as well as being able to develop a portfolio strategy benefitting the business’ assets while optimizing the balance of competing issues
- Proven experience (with a clear understanding), with tangible examples, of the role of patents in the context of regulated product lifecycle management; ability to clearly and concisely communicate legal positions and business strategies responsive to internal client needs
- Success in various prosecution efforts at USPTO
- Extensive Patentability clearance experiences
- Proven experience in developing FTO positions and outcomes, with actionable recommendations and clear/concise guidance for legal counsel and business owners
- Able to assist and support the development of a portfolio strategy benefitting the business’ assets while optimizing the balance of competing issues
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Elanco Animal Health does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
- Demonstrated ability to perform successfully in cross-functional teams
- Be able to handle multiple projects in fast-paced environment and exercise sound legal judgement
- Capable of providing support and guidance to legal leaders, senior management and functional organizational leadership
- In addition to top-notch legal skills, must have excellent interpersonal, strategic thinking, communication, and organizational skills.
- Applies innovative problem-solving skills and judgment to assist in managing corporate risk
- Delivers work product within business constraints in a demanding environment while balancing competing client requests
Additional Skills & Preferences:
- Post-graduate degree (Master’s and/or PhD) in chemistry or biochemistry
- Post-graduate degree in business or similar
- Small Molecule drafting and prosecution experience
- Large molecule experience
- Familiarity with the animal health or crop science industry
- Strong business acumen and mindset towards collaboration
- Ability to process map, develop policy and procedure, and effectively communicate consistent processes for enabling world-class operations in IP
- Previous in-house experience
- Six Sigma certification
- This role can be located anywhere in the US with ability to travel to Elanco’s corporate headquarters in Greenfield, IN, as needed.
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status