Agriscience is comprised of Discovery Chemistry, Process Chemistry and Process Development groups and represents a sizeable portion of our R&D innovation engine working towards sustainable crop protection solutions. We are looking for scientists who can work as part of a multidisciplinary team to discover, develop and launch our crop protection pipeline.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the design and synthesis of novel organic compounds for crop protection, pest and vegetation management in a collaborative effort with biologists, process chemists, computational chemists, formulation chemists, regulatory sciences, intellectual property and numerous other disciplines. Responsibilities will also include route optimization towards a cost effective, efficient synthesis of crop protection active ingredients. Collaboration with chemical engineers, analytical chemists, regulatory sciences, manufacturing and other disciplines is required to successfully bring a new molecule to launch
Come be a part of a team that is fanatically focused on enriching our R&D pipeline with crop protection solutions!
Responsibilities – What You’ll Do:
- A structured and well-mapped onboarding plan that will include opportunity for research sabbaticals across all disciplines in the SMDD group.
- An opportunity to work with pipeline molecules at various stages of development from early discovery to manufacturing and launch.
- Innovate at the interface of biology, biochemistry and computational chemistry to generate and test novel hypotheses.
- Work with process chemists & chemical engineers in the SMDD group for developing more efficient, practical, scalable and sustainable routes to our small molecule crop protection products.
- Evaluate compounds using cutting edge cheminformatics tools to accurately and efficiently interpret biological data to drive structure activity relationship (SAR).
- Cross-collaborate with the Predictive Safety Center for early stage assessment of regulatory and sustainability profile of new compounds.
- Design, synthesis, isolation and characterization of novel molecules enabled by modern reaction platforms, purification tools, and analytical instrumentation to facilitate efficient iterative design cycles.
- Manage and contribute to the synthesis of gram to kilogram quantities of experimental products for the support of other Corteva R&D sub-functions.
- Support supply of intermediates and final targets for use in Field, Formulation, and Toxicology studies.
- Transfer technology and support the manufacturing start-up of our small molecule crop protection products.
- Keep current with latest developments in chemistry literature, technology and IP landscape of competitors and implement actions that enhances Corteva’s competitive position.
- Generate, document and communicate research in the form of internal scientific reports and external publications.
- Mentor experienced and new colleagues on technical or interpersonal skills required for growth of individuals and teams.
- Bring the outside in through deliberate and strategic engagements and collaborations with external networks in academia and industry
Qualifications – What You’ll Bring:
- Technical Ability: Must be able to generate and interpret data to independently solve synthesis problems. Must be able to generate and work cross-functionally to implement new processes.
- Innovation: A key deliverable of the job is to develop new or improved processes. The individual must be able to problem solve by generating novel ideas and by creatively applying existing technology.
- Interpersonal Effectiveness: All projects are conducted in a team-based environment. Success is achieved through the effective leveraging of cross-functional resources. The individual must interact well with others and be able to build and sustain effective relationships.
- Initiative: Must also drive results independently as well as in teams. Must show initiative in planning and execution to meet defined goals.
- Teamwork: All projects are managed by teams of varying size. Cooperating and contributing to meet team goals is critical.
Requirements – What You’ve Grown:
- Ph.D. or post-doctoral experience in organic chemistry – students expecting to graduate in 2021 are encouraged to apply.
- Experience utilizing or developing synthetic methodologies and a proven track record of solving complex synthetic problems is required.
- A working knowledge of broad separation technologies and characterization techniques is needed.
- Ability to work independently and through others to drive projects to a decision point,
- A track record of technical publications, highly effective communication (written and verbal), interpersonal skills and teamwork.
Corteva Agriscience ™ serves to enrich the lives of those who produce and those who consume, ensuring progress for generations to come. Our employees fulfill this purpose everyday by building/participating in an inclusive culture where we encourage each other to stay curious, think differently, act boldly and do what’s right for our customers, our co-workers, our partners and our planet. With over 20,000 team members from 130 countries, innovating in 140 world class R&D facilities, we have the resources, leadership heritage and partner ecosystem to make a meaningful impact now and into the future.