About the Opportunity:
The Hoosier Environmental Council seeks a Sustainable Agriculture Director to support the growth of healthy, sustainable, and local agriculture and growing practices in Indiana, and with a special emphasis on the upper White River watershed area. HEC seeks a leader, organizer, and coalition builder who is well-versed in issues of sustainable agriculture ranging from urban farming and farmers markets to commodity crops and federal crop insurance. A successful candidate will feel comfortable relating to and working with a diverse constituency of partners and those with differing opinions about farming.
- Highlighting positive examples of sustainable agriculture through electronic newsletters, presentations, workshops, tabling at events and social media.
- Helping to build a market for sustainable agriculture products.
- Thinking creatively and strategically about how to further the adoption of sustainable agriculture practices and how to be a resource to practitioners.
- In person monitoring, promoting, and engaging in legislation, at the Statehouse during legislative session, related to HEC’s sustainable agriculture goals and other HEC priorities as needed.
- Working with and building coalitions to further program goals.
- Developing strategies to reduce agriculture practices that contaminate our rivers and streams, amplify greenhouse gas emissions, lower soil quality, and lower quality of life for neighbors through chemical drift and odors.
- Grant writing and fundraising to support sustainable agriculture goals of HEC.
- Engaging on federal, state, and local rules and policy making related to goals.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have five or more years experience working in sustainable agriculture.
- Have experience as an advocate for change working with diverse groups of varying interests.
- Show quantifiable track record of accomplishments in past positions and/or volunteer work.
- Have a desire to talk with legislators and decision-makers to share the value of sustainable agriculture and advocate for support for those practices.
- Be an effective communicator in both written and oral communication and have the ability to share complicated issues through simple relatable messaging.
- Have the ability to build and maintain strong relationships for the purpose of furthering program goals.
- Provide support and supervision to staff working on HEC’s sustainable agriculture efforts.