Who are we, and what do we do?
Corteva Agriscience is the only major agriscience company in the world completely dedicated to agriculture. Our purpose is to enrich the lives of those who produce and those who consume, ensuring progress for generation to come. Our inspiration is to be a market shaper, driving the next generation of agriculture products that help farms and farmers flourish and through partnering with society becoming the most trusted partner in the global agriculture and food community.
With a global footprint and over 20,000 employees, Corteva is building the future of agriculture and leading breakthroughs in the innovation and application of science and technology that will better the lives of people all over the world and fuel the progress of humankind.
Corteva Agriscience is hiring for a Sr. Finance Analyst to join our team at Corteva. In this role, you will provide professional financial analysis and accounting support within the Accounting & Reporting Finance group for the North America Business. Records and monitors actual results of financial data against prior year actual results, budgets, plans, or forecasts. Provide analysis to support business decisions. Perform responsibilities in compliance with all applicable guidelines, regulations and professional standards.
You will utilize knowledge of complex known variables (price, volume, programs) and quantification of unknown variables (weather, government influences, economic conditions, etc.) to analyze actual results, estimates, and budgets for the business. Analysis and review of monthly, quarterly, and annual actual information is routinely expected in order to identify financial problems or potential issues of non-compliance with internal / external guidelines or regulations.
There is often urgency in problem resolution, especially during the close process. Together with the potential complexity of issues that arise during the close process, requires an individual who can work under stress and is able to provide creative solutions and accurate information in an efficient manner.
You must frequently make decisions related to prioritization, since there are multiple tasks to be completed at the same time. This requires the ability to determine the urgency of special requests / problems in relation to regular job functions. Problem resolution and follow-up are time-sensitive when directly impacting the ability to complete job functions.
Responsibilities – How will you help us grow?
- Supports accounting and / or planning processes (estimates, budgets, multi-year plans) in assigned business area(s). Evaluates underlying assumptions and variance explanations and identifies areas of risk to the Company. Collaborates with other Finance staff to provide consistency and identify relevant opportunities across various Finance and business teams.
- Analyzes monthly, quarterly, and annual financial actual results in order to ensure accuracy of financial statements (balance sheets, income statements, etc.). Provides analysis against prior year(s) actual results, budgets, plans, or forecasts to identify problems or issues and recommend ways to resolve problem areas.
- Supports critical business initiatives, various special projects, and business / market teams, committees. Serves as a Finance liaison within various business areas. Develops and improves the quality of financial information to enhance better decision making.
- Consults with key management about policies and procedures, relevant financial information, technical accounting issues or analytical and modeling support. Develops proposals that improve the quality and treatment of financial information and decision-making.
- Participates in development and implementation of financial strategies. Provides input to and / or support financial systems design and development efforts.
- Ensures internal and external financial controls are incorporated in work products, including Sarbanes-Oxley testing and compliance efforts.
- Serves as a model to other team members and champions others on the team. Consistently takes action to ensure the effectiveness, morale and productivity of the team.
- Provides financial support and thorough understanding of business, operation or function’s performance. Develops alternative recommendations and evaluates expected results.
Requirements – What You’ll Bring to the Table
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related area. CPA or Master’s Degree preferred.
- 2 – 5 years of broad corporate or public accounting experience.
Technical / Functional Expertise:
- Professionally competent in a functional or technical area of expertise. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment. Stays current on changes, new ideas, and concepts.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills. Presents information and ideas to individuals or groups in a clear, organized, and articulate manner. Ability to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles.
- Interacts and relates well with all kinds of people. Contributes as a team member. Builds relationships and demonstrates genuine interest, sensitivity, respect, and understanding towards others. Listens and considers the ideas and suggestions of others. Uses diplomacy and tact with the ability to diffuse tense situations comfortably.
- Knowledgeable about business trends, practices, and policies that affect and impact the business and industry.
- Ability to analyze business issues and trends and corresponding options / solutions; applies financial models / methods and rigorous logic to uncover hidden issues. Ability to think creatively and systemically to identify new ideas and see the whole picture.
Influence / Negotiation:
- Communicates information in a way that gains acceptance and commitment. Ability to sell self and ideas. Ability to persuade others in a way that impacts decisions and actions. Skillfully negotiates tough situations without hurting relationships. Ability to settle differences in a diplomatic manner.
- Understanding of accounting and finance, including working understanding of income statement, balance sheet, cash flow preparation, and GAAP accounting concepts.
- Skills in use of personal computer and financial software applications (Excel, Essbase, SAP, Hyperion).
- Ability to organize tasks and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to prioritize multiple diverse activities at any given time.
We care about you and we care that you’re comfortable. While there’s no place like home, Corteva comes close.
Let’s peek at just a few of the advantages to working at Corteva and how you can grow your well being, health, and future.
- Strike a better work-life balance with robust time off benefits including paid maternity, paternal and family illness leave.
- Prepare for your future with our competitive retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement program, and more.
- Enjoy access to health benefits for you and your family on your first day of employment.
- And much, much more.
Take the next step to #GrowWhatMatters in your career with Corteva and apply today. We look forward to seeing your application.
Corteva Agriscience ™ serves to enrich the lives of those who produce and those who consume, ensuring progress for generations to come. Our employees fulfill this purpose everyday by building/participating in an inclusive culture where we encourage each other to stay curious, think differently, act boldly and do what’s right for our customers, our co-workers, our partners and our planet. With over 20,000 team members from 130 countries, innovating in 140 world class R&D facilities, we have the resources, leadership heritage and partner ecosystem to make a meaningful impact now and into the future.