Inari is the SEEDesign™ company. We embrace the diversity and complexity of nature in every aspect of our business to drive innovation – to push the boundaries of what is possible. Through our unrivaled technology platform, Inari uses predictive design and advanced multiplex gene editing to develop step-change products. We are taking a nature positive approach to unlock the full potential of seed that will transform the food system. The results will lead to more productive acres delivering value creation for farmers and a more sustainable future for our planet.
Our success is dependent on great minds, collaborating to generate bright ideas and deliver exceptional outcomes.
We have over 200 employees, with research sites in Cambridge, MA (USA) and Ghent (Belgium), as well as a product development site in West Lafayette, IN (USA). We’ve deliberately built a team that brings diversity of thought to all aspects of our business, to generate new ideas, approaches, and ways of operating. And we’ve intentionally combined experience with potential, bringing agriculture industry experts with the desire to innovate together with bright minds from academia, human therapeutics, software, and consulting. If you want to be part of a diverse and inclusive team developing unique solutions to feed the world while protecting our planet’s natural resources, we’d love to hear from you!
About the role….
This is a great opportunity for an exceptionally detail-oriented, thorough, and organized Senior Director, Product Development Operations to join the growing INARI organization. In this role, you will be able to provide your strategic thinking and leadership to steer the company in allocating its resources effectively across multiple platforms including Field and Controlled Environments while also implementing INARI’s vision, mission, and long term goals
This role will be accountable for developing and executing the strategy to support a growing portfolio of products, managing the field, controlled environment and seed operations for the Product Development organization at INARI. The successful candidate will play a key role in departmental planning and oversee the team’s progress. The role will be tasked with finding innovative ways to enhance productivity, providing resources for a growing product pipeline, and ensuring compliance with appropriate regulations. The goal is to ensure the company is constantly moving towards fulfilling its short-term and long-term objectives and executing the company’s business strategies
This role will be part of the Product Development Leadership Team and closely collaborate with the Early and Late Product Development Leaders and Project Management in the development and implementation of the operations and product strategies. This role will effectively interact with the Science, Commercial, and Data organizations and successfully partner with enabling functions. Teams reporting into this role include the Controlled Environment Operations, Field Operations, Seeds Operations, Quality Management Systems, and Automation teams.
The position will be based at our facility in West Lafayette, Indiana.
As Senior Director, Product Development Operations, you will…
- Lead a group of talented professionals responsible for Field, Seed and Controlled Environment platforms
- Develop and implement comprehensive platform strategies across INARI’s product portfolio to facilitate achievement by planning cost-effective and innovative operations
- Develop and implement innovative strategies, plans, and objectives for key platforms in the department and to facilitate novel product development approaches
- Coordinate resource management and allocations for the seed management & inventory, field, and controlled environment platforms to enable Product Development and characterization
- Communicate and maintain trust relationships with shareholders, business partners, and authorities
- Oversee the Quality Management initiative in product development and INARI
- Define and create an automation strategy to streamline operations across labs, greenhouse, and field and identify opportunities to automate data collection
- Delegate responsibilities and supervise the work of the teams providing guidance and motivation to drive maximum performance. Oversee and coordinate daily operations
- Maintain compliance with external regulations and internal policies
- Assess and report progress in meeting INARI’s objectives
- Drive hiring and department staffing with your team (e.g. interviewing, hiring, new hire and ongoing training, annual evaluations, etc.)
- Participate in budget development and monitoring of expenses
- Generate necessary reports for the executive team; and ensure subordinates’ reports provide detailed information as needed
- Ph.D. degree in Agronomy or Ag Business with 5+ years of industry experience or B.S or M.S degree in Agronomy or Ag Business with 10+ years of industry experience in operations, testing, project management or others
- An in-depth understanding of all aspects of the seed business
- An understanding of product performance evaluation and characterization, agronomic practices, and growing environment differences
- A willingness to travel domestically and globally for collaboration interactions
- Basic understanding of product lifecycle management
- Demonstrated track record of business acumen and strategic and tactical decision making capability
- Ability to tackle complex problems and drive quality results
- Aptitude for working with and learning technical information along with attention to detail
- Experience with process development, implementation, and management
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to sort through ambiguity, create clarity, influence others, and drive results
- An ability to work with colleagues and outside parties across multiple site locations and from a wide array of departments and perspectives
- Strong understanding of agronomic product development, including breeding and product management
- Understanding of supply chain quality requirements and processes
- Previous people management experience
- A strong sense of purpose and drive to develop unique, high impact solutions.
- Adaptability and enthusiasm for new challenges, innate curiosity, and a passion for learning.
- Creative and strategic thinking, willingness to be bold and take risks, and the ability to recognize and learn from failure.
- A collaborative mindset that is open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives, and feedback.
- Ability to work both independently and deliver on responsibilities within a highly collaborative environment.