Interested in joining a cause-driven, customer focused company dedicated to positively impacting the health of animals, people and the planet? Search our job listings below.
Senior Advisor IT – R&D Data Domain Lead
The Elanco Research & Development organization generates a large volume of data through research activities, clinical studies, and regulatory information in support of building a robust pipeline of products for animal health. This includes data collected at the bench and in the field and is expanding to include streaming data from devices and other heterogeneous sources. In close collaboration with scientific partners, the R&D Data Domain Lead is responsible for influencing and developing an integrated data science strategy and providing leadership for data-related projects and products across a global research and development function.
In partnership with Innovation and Regulatory leaders, computational scientists, and statisticians, this role will be a key thought leader and enabler for harnessing data to power the innovation engine at Elanco. Opportunities exist to integrate and drive predictive insights from operational data, grow our high-performance computing and advanced analytics capabilities, and explore IoT and edge analytic solutions. To be successful in this position, candidates must have strong domain knowledge in scientific data as well as technical expertise in the design and engineering of data solutions.
The role will be a part of the enterprise DataOps team which is responsible for transforming Elanco into a data-driven company through a dedicated focus on data architecture, engineering, and analytics. In this role, the R&D Domain lead will also partner closely with enterprise data architects and peers to identify and implement global capabilities and deliver data solutions in alignment with Elanco’s enterprise reference architecture and engineering framework. This position reports to the Senior Director IT – DataOps.
R&D Data Domain Leadership
- Partner across R&D stakeholders to develop an integrated data strategy for maximizing value derived from internal data assets and the external data ecosystem.
- Collaborate with scientific partners and work within team to identify, scope, and execute analytic efforts to answer business questions, solve business needs, and drive innovation for Elanco.
- Maintain a holistic view of the functional data landscape and drive the adoption of data by identifying use cases across Elanco R&D and other enterprise data assets.
- Align data products and pipelines with the enterprise data strategy and architecture.
- Design scalable data pipelines that will ingest, transform, and distribute numerous data streams and batches in support of key R&D initiatives.
- Support a collaborate with Data Scientists developing advanced machine learning and statistical models.
- Leverage and enhance use of existing high performance computing environment.
- Participate as a data lead on multi-functional research and IT teams; Prototype, test and learn, and plan the design and integration of workflows applied to a wide variety of R&D data.
- Identify, design, and implement process improvements opportunity by automating manual processes and optimizing data delivery.
- Where required, deep dive key initiatives to help overcome technical incidents, complex problems and/or realize opportunities.
- Be accountable for contributing to business plan and financial forecasting based on data portfolio.
- Engage with scientific leaders on due diligence, proof-of-concepts, and exploratory work to assess partnership and/or new business opportunities.
- Actively engage in the external pharma and animal health science and technology ecosystem in seeking out advances and modern approaches for advanced analytics, ML/AI, Computer Vision, and IoT.
- Actively build and stay abreast of emerging technology in the data space, guiding IT and the business partners on how to interpret and best leverage innovative technologies.
- Collaborate with DataOps enterprise architects to contribute to the enterprise design and delivery of efficient data solution architectures, automation and technology choices starting from experimentation through proof of concept and delivery.
- Proactively engage with the IT community (internally and externally) across multiple channels, looking to share, represent, educate, and inspire.
- Serve as a coach for IT Data Analysts/Engineers to advance individuals’ technical acumen.
- Establish strong partnerships with key service providers, helping to ensure technical competency and architecture alignment.
- B.S. in computer science, bioinformatics, or similar data-centric science concentration, M.S. preferred.
- 8+ years of experience in architecting and engineering integrated data flows for a breadth of scientific data: Biology/Chemistry, Genomics, Metabolomics, Proteomics
- 4+ years of experience building and optimizing data pipelines in cloud/hybrid cloud computing environments (Azure, Google Cloud).
- Proven track record in leading and delivering on complex data projects.
- Expertise in data management, information integration and analytics practices and capabilities.
- Experience working with modern data architecture and engineering methodologies (Domain driven data architecture, Scalable data pipelines, DataOps (CI/CD), API-Centric Design, SQL/NoSQL, FAIR data principles, etc.)
- Exposure with developing data pipelines and data products using Azure storage, search, catalog, API management, and data processing & analytics services such as Azure Data Factory, SDK, CLI, Import/Export Service, HDInsight, Data Bricks, Stream Analytics and PowerBI.
- Familiarity with machine learning workflows.
- Experience with sensors and IoT cloud architecture.
- Experience working in complex, diverse landscapes (business, technology, regulatory, partners, providers, geographies, etc.)
- Proven track record as a coach and/or mentor in developing technical skills.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills; proven ability to work effectively within a team.
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status