Senior Plant Engineer
- Location: Richmond, Indiana (Initially, the incumbent will work remotely)
- Travel: This position will require up to 15% travel
Liberation Labs is developing a global network of fit-for-purpose precision fermentation manufacturing facilities. We build the critical infrastructure needed to produce novel bioproducts at a scale and a cost structure that enables the broader precision fermentation market. Together with our customers and partners, we use our innovative thinking and passion for manufacturing to make everyday products more affordable and more accessible. We believe that precision fermentation can unlock solutions that have real and lasting impact on the future of sustainability.
Our organization’s vision is to enable the technology that frees the world from the costs of industrialized agriculture.
What we offer:
Liberation Labs is committed to providing exciting career and growth opportunities in an environment that values trust, respect, openness, teamwork, creativity, enthusiasm, and diligence. We strive to create a culture where everyone feels they have an equal opportunity to reach their potential and is accepted and appreciated for who they are and what they bring to Liberation Labs.
Liberation Labs provides competitive compensation and benefits including medical, dental, vision, life and disability, paid time off, paid parental leave, and more. Employees are compensated competitively, in alignment with relevant market comparisons, and participate in the company’s success through annual performance compensation incentives as well as the ESOP (employee share option program). We prioritize maintaining a positive work environment with a great culture.
Join us as our new Senior Plant Engineer
Reporting to the Senior Director, Project Engineering, you will have the opportunity to work closely with our engineering partners and equipment vendors, process engineering, and manufacturing operations to ensure that our facilities operate efficiently and meet requirements. You will be able to drive site-specific projects to reduce manufacturing issues, maintain and upgrade equipment, and increase overall production efficiency and value with a constant focus on safety.
In this role you’ll make an impact by:
- Developing a thorough understanding of the core processes that drive the manufacturing plant.
- Maintaining both facilities and process/manufacturing equipment in top operating condition.
- Building and deploying a continuous improvement/TPM framework with buy-in from corporate and site leadership.
- Identifying manufacturing or equipment problems and working with subject matter experts to understand root cause, and identify and implement solutions.
- Managing the site’s capital project engineering budget and safely and efficiently executing those capital projects on-budget, on-time and on-quality.
- Project engineer and manage various components of site specific facility and manufacturing line design, build and start-up projects. Most projects will range from $1MM up to $10MM.
- Working with the Process Engineering team to build quality process engineering deliverables like functional specifications, PFDs, P&IDs, and equipment design data sheets
- Managing various 3rd party relationships (e.g., engineering firms, equipment vendors, pipefitters, electricians, controls/automation shops) through the design, build and start-up phases.
- Safely deliver capital projects to the local operations and maintenance teams. This includes but not limited to providing instructions and training to technicians and operators.
- Championing personnel and product safety and leading key safety reviews.
- Maintaining key plant engineering documents like P&IDs and equipment drawings, electrical schematics, and plant controls programming.
- Work with corporate engineering to develop and implement equipment and facility specific engineering standards
- Work with corporate and local leadership to build and deploy the right continuous improvement structure for the facility. Apply techniques from various CI/TPM models such as DMAIC, RCA, SIPOC, VSM, Kaizen, 5S, etc.
- Building strong relationships and interfacing effectively with commercial, safety, accounting, legal, environmental, engineering, QA/QC, and procurement teams.
- Work with local team to build and manage a site engineering request and task log to properly manage local engineering resources and prioritize work effectively.
- Mentoring and training junior engineers and technical staff.
- Completing other duties as required
Desired candidate profile:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering with 10+ years experience in capital projects and/or equipment design, preferably in the biotechnology industry
- 7+ years of experience working in a manufacturing environment
- 5+ years of experience managing a team of engineers
- Direct experience in continuous improvement methodology with Green Belt certification preferred
- Experience using engineering software like AutoCAD
- Proficiency reading and editing detailed process, electrical, pneumatic and fluid schematics
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively at all levels of an organization
- Self-driven, collaborative, and results oriented
- Resilient, able to handle ambiguity, and enjoys the challenges and rewards of working for a start-up; prior experience in a start-up environment is an asset.
- Energized at the idea of helping to create and build a positive work culture
Equal Opportunity Employment
Liberation Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, veteran status, and any other legally protected status under federal, state, or local anti-discrimination laws.