The Senior Horticulture Crops Research Technician will be responsible for overall field operations, pesticide applications, and crop maintenance required to achieve successful field research on horticultural crops at the Meigs Horticultural Research Facility part of the Throckmorton Ag Center at Purdue University.
What You’ll be Doing:
- Collaborate with faculty and graduate students during the planning phase of their respective field research efforts
- Map, measure, and flag location of research plots, configuring specific growing requirements for different specialty crops
- Assist in the entire growing process of each crop, which includes, planting transplants, applying fertilizers, monitoring irrigation needs, trellising, pesticide applications, and harvest.
- Create raised vegetable beds with plastic mulch and drip tape, maintain the beds, and remove beds at the end of the season.
- Install and repair irrigation systems on a plot-by-plot basis
- Prune Orchard and Vineyard on an annual basis
- Scout for pests and disease presence in fruit and vegetable crops. Tabulate and record data; report issues when threshold limits are identified.
- Utilize Precision Agriculture technology to enhance field research efforts.
- Install fences, insect traps, trellis systems, and other research related projects as requested.
- Operate commercial agriculture equipment in a research capacity such as tractors, sprayers, planters, transplanters, cultivation implements.
- Setup, calibrate, and adjust equipment to optimize performance
- Maintain facility grounds by utilizing commercial mowers, weed eaters, chainsaws, and completing scheduled herbicide applications.
- Analyze and summarize data in a scientific manner with the intent of reviewing with PI and sharing results with researchers, extension and the general public.
- Facilitate farm tours to groups as large as 200 people
What We’re Looking For:
- Bachelor of Science in Agricultural discipline
- 2 years of experience with modern production practices associated with fruit, vegetable and agronomic crops
- In lieu of degree, an equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered (Associate’s+ 4 years of experience; HS/GED + 6 years of experience)
- Field production techniques and knowledge of the operation of agriculture equipment and machinery
- Well balanced in current production techniques utilized for fruit and vegetable production
- Computer skills including use of Word, Excel, Power Point, and email
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve technical problems
- Must hold or be able to obtain a Category 1 pesticide license within 12 months of hire date
- Become approved to drive Purdue University vehicles
- Knowledge of both Midwest fruit and vegetable production and agronomic methods and ability to apply and practice
- Ability to work independently as well as directly with university faculty and graduate students in the implementation of field research
- May require extended hours during peak seasons
Nice to Have:
- Course work in horticulture
What We’d Like You to Know:
- Purdue will not sponsor work authorization for this position.
- A background check is required for employment in this position
- This was formerly classified as an operational/technical position; an internal lateral transfer will retain same benefit standing.
- FLSA: Non-Exempt (Eligible for Overtime)
- Retirement: Non-exempt Defined Contribution Plan
- Purdue University is an EEO/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply
What You’ll Get in Return:
All university employees are afforded a generous benefits package, https://www.purdue.edu/hr/benewell/index.php, including medical/dental/vision insurance, paid time off, and retirement contributions. As part of Purdue University’s expansive employee benefit package, the University is proud to offer its employees the opportunity to grow, learn, and advance by offering a tuition remission opportunity at both Purdue University and Purdue Global.
Take Your Next Giant Leap
We never stop, we keep going, because Discovery is in our DNA, and we want you to discover a Career at Purdue University! Come work alongside a family of diverse culture with faculty, students, and staff who come together to become one, Boilermakers! Our greatest adventures are yet to come, and we want to include you.
Come take your Next Giant Leap and Discover your next career!