Reporting to the Director, Research and Development, the Senior Food Scientist, Plant-Based Protein manages exploration, development, and improvement of plant-based protein products and technology. You will contribute to and help lead the creation of in-house plant-based protein products and knowledge for existing Conagra Brands products, and longer-term research efforts to create advantaged products. You will create new product development for product line growth, technology/process development for creating new capabilities, and identify external sources for ingredient and process technology development in the plant-based space. You will design, executes, and documents research to expand the platform’s knowledge base, advance longer-term project work, to ensure products with unique attributes.
What You’ll Do:
- Use technology capabilities to develop products with plant protein attributes that match or exceed consumer needs and provide a significant competitive advantage.
- Use core research capabilities and know-how to develop new products and improve existing products with plant protein attributes.
- Champion ideas for technology improvements and cost savings that align with the strategic fit of projects.
- Support R&D team in accomplishing short-term and long-term development goals. Adapt to evolving scientific priorities.
- Develop product prototypes on the bench, conduct pilot and commercial scale trials, establish data and make a technical case for product feasibility.
- Maintain high level of awareness of technical trends and developments in the food and CPG industries. Leads plant protein applications research of new technology.
- Build support and develop project plans to promote development and implementation.
- Search for and vet advanced technologies that complement areas of strategic focus in the plant-based space.
- Collaborate directly with internal business peers and teams at a high level.
- Preserve all forms of material property generated from the above activities, including writing patents, writing protocols for novel processes.
- Communicate complex technical concepts to a variety of audiences within the business organization.
- Maintain excellent understanding and application of experimental design, performance specs, and the various technical tools used in product development.
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelors in Food Science, Meat Science, Engineering, Chemistry or related field with minimum 8 years relevant work experience in food industry.
- Masters / PhD in Food Science, Meat Science, Engineering, Chemistry or related field with minimum 6 years relevant work experience in food industry.
- Is considered a technical expert in at least one technology area or product platform with advanced knowledge of 2 or more additional technology areas/platforms, protein science experience.
- Established external network in the plant-based ecosystem.
- Exhibits leadership and demonstrated influencing skills.
- Experience in coaching and technical mentoring.
- Experience with food industry standards of quality and food safety, and FDA regulations.
- Open to up to 40% Travel
We care about your total well-being and will support you with the following, subject to your location and role:
- Health: Medical, dental and vision insurance, company-paid life, accident and disability insurance
- Wealth: great salaries, matching 401(k) and stock purchase plan
- Growth: online courses, virtual and classroom development experiences
- Balance: paid-time off , flexible work-schedules
Conagra Brands is one of North America’s leading branded food companies. We have a rich heritage of making great food, and a team that’s passionate about innovation and growth. Conagra offers choices for every occasion through iconic brands, such as Birds Eye®, Marie Callender’s®, Banquet®, Healthy Choice®, Slim Jim®, Reddi-wip®, and Vlasic®, and emerging brands, including Angie’s® BOOMCHICKAPOP®, Duke’s®, Earth Balance®, Gardein®, and Frontera®.
We pride ourselves on having the most impactful, energized and inclusive culture in the food industry. For more information, visit www.conagrabrands.com.
Conagra Brands is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy, leave status, disability, veteran status, genetic information and/or any other characteristic or status protected by national, federal, state or local law.