As a leading global animal health company, Elanco delivers innovative products and services to improve the health of pets and farm animals around the world because we believe making animals’ lives better, makes life better. Since 1954, we have provided solutions that support veterinarians, farmers and pet owners to advance our vision of Food and Companionship Enriching Life. Elanco’s promise to employees: Together, we foster an inclusive culture where everyone can make a difference, encouraging ownership, growth and well-being.
The US Swine Marketing Director is a key leader within the US Farm Animal Marketing Team responsible to lead, develop and drive all aspects of the Swine business strategy including disease state, category and brand management to achieve business goals. The US Swine Marketing Director has a deep understanding of the market, competition and most important the key insights of our target customers which enables Elanco to achieve our business goals.
This leader is also responsible to contribute to the overall development of our marketing capabilities by leading and developing teams, process and advocating for the marketing efforts. The leader is also a key business partner with the US Swine Business Unit Leaders.
- Manages P&L for Swine brands
- Develops and consolidates Business Plan, ensures delivery of revenue and profit annually
- Ownership of product forecast, brand plans, cycle plans, lifecycle management of the Swine portfolio (product, price, placement, promotion)
- Identifies R&D and business opportunities aligned with strategic objectives and influences across the organization to ensure optimal execution
Strategy Development & Execution
- Develops and executes a strong Swine strategy that leverages customer insights and need ensuring strategic focus for the portfolio is clearly established and that brand positioning, communication and execution align and support sales and profit goals.
- Partner with technical, sales and channel leadership to ensure clear alignment to short and long term business strategy.
- Considers other non-product solutions to enhance the overall species strategy and customer experience.
- Initiate and partner to drive product lifecycle evolutions and new product innovation (FA Innovation, R&D, manufacturing, supply, etc.) on behalf of the US Swine Business.
- Develop the brand strategy, ensuring clear and effective positioning and overseeing execution of marketing campaigns by working cross functionally
- Determines messaging, proof points and evidence for key stakeholders (producers, vets, nutritionists, etc.)
- Technical or Scientific Understanding—Understands technical and scientific context and is able to translate complex information into simple brand messages.
Insights and Analytics
- Generates insights to inform strategies and business plans
- Insights expertise—understands business questions that will drive what research to do and works with business partners to action research or other data collection
- Comfortable in reading, interpreting and analyzing research and other reports and translating this data into meaningful insights for customers
- Brand Strategy Implementation—Leads production and validation of key campaigns and collaborates across the US Swine business to execute.
- Ad agency Management- capable of day to day agency management and Marketing Mix (Media planning)
- Communicate effectively with the field sales organization to understand needs and optimizeimplementation of marketing tactics.
- At least 20% of time should be directly connected to Elanco customers
- Establish a presence and influence with external stakeholders, key influencers, and opinion leaders within the industry.
- Team Management- Recruiting, hiring, training, coaching, evaluating performance, and defining and assigning responsibilities – leveraging diversity
- Talent Development – Leads and develops the marketers by creating an engaging environment by building a strong marketing culture that balances both meeting employee development and strategic business needs.
- Degree level either life science or business qualification. MBA or professional marketing qualification desirable
- 7+ years marketing experience
- Strong knowledge industry (preferably 5+ years of direct involvement with the industry)
- Positive attitude and fits well with Elanco Cultural Pillars
- Inquisitive. Self-starting. Results oriented.
- Able to deal with ambiguity in order to provide directional recommendations and outcomes.
- Proven ability to work successfully across levels, functions, demonstrating influence without authority
- Demonstrated record of achievement in marketing (strategy, execution, leadership)
- Demonstrated ability to coach and develop a team.
- Experience of working in marketing teams and strategic marketing skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex project, set priorities and manage work of a team toward those priorities.
- Strong attention to detail, commitment to excellence, and drive to achieve positive results.
- Strong business, analytical and presentation skills
- Ability to set priorities and manage multiple tasks
- Excellent planning and leadership skills
- Strong Communication skills: verbal, written, & executive presence
- Passion for animal health is essential
- Post-secondary education related to marketing
- Knowledgeable of marketing capabilities and competencies with a focus on and understanding of the customer
- Experience in managing marketing personnel and/or experience in building effective teams
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status