Interested in joining a cause-driven, customer focused company dedicated to positively impacting the health of animals, people and the planet? Search our job listings below.
The Sr. Assistant General Counsel, Agreements & Technology Integration, is a key legal IP role in our department, encompassing IP transactions, technology and risk assessment with extensive internal client engagement; the role is an additional role, reporting into the Global Intellectual Property (IP) function.
- Responsible for counselling one or more business areas on IP and technology focused agreements, obligations, transactions, research, innovation and associated related rights
- Directly drafting agreements of varied complexities for early product development related activities including collaboration agreements, innovation agreements, co-development terms, procurement related activities, MOUs, NDAs, MTAs, licensing and innovation agreements, and more, as assigned
- Responsible for counselling internal business clients and negotiating with external entities in relation to agreements, transactions, licensing, enforcement matters, brand issues, policy development, operations involvement and risk mitigation solutions
- Performing as a trusted advisor and legal business partner to internal clients in developing strategy, drafting agreements reflecting business needs and performing at a high level within an intellectually-intense environment
- Supporting identifying inventions and drafting patent applications
- Able to handle rapid return of client-driven agreement needs including base agreements to complex technical or marketing focused arrangements
- Conducting IP due diligence in connection with any potential acquisitions or divestitures
- Resolving routine and moderately complex IP matters with minimal supervision
- Developing and reporting on associated competitive data analytics with client focus
- Conduct education and training of IP materials and awareness sessions to global audiences
- Proven experience with transactions various domains (including procurement, digital, software, pharma/pet health), etc.
- Develop processes to formalize work streams for effective transactions management including metrics
- Prior and proven experience in finalizing transaction step(s) including but not limited to completing assignments, business integration, succession of agreements, consolidation,
- Scientific undergraduate degree
- Juris Doctor or equivalent post-graduate U.S. legal degree
- At least six (6) years in practice and experience in providing legal counsel on associated matters with a major corporation or law firm
- Clear and proven understanding of global interplay of IP rights, valuation, due diligence, IP ownership, licensing, and transactional rights alignment, as well as being able to develop a negotiation and IP strategy benefitting the business’ assets while optimizing the balance of competing issues.
- Proven experience (with a clear understanding), with tangible examples, of the role of IP in the context of product lifecycle management.
- Familiarity with patent systems in major jurisdictions
- Active State bar registrations in good standing
- Demonstrated ability to perform successfully in cross-functional teams
- Be able to handle multiple projects in fast-paced environment and exercise sound legal judgement
- Capable of providing legal and strategic guidance to senior management and functional organizational leadership
- In addition to top-notch legal skills, must have excellent interpersonal, strategic thinking, communication, and organizational skills.
- Applies innovative problem-solving skills and judgment to assist in managing corporate risk
- Delivers work product within business constraints in a demanding environment while balancing competing client requests
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Elanco Animal Health does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
Additional Skills & Preferences:
- Advanced degree(s) in chemistry or biochemistry
- Advanced business degree
- Familiarity with the animal health or crop science industry
- Strong business acumen and mindset towards collaboration
- Previous in-house experience
- Preferred litigation, IPR, opposition, transactional, agreement and M&A/D experience
- USPTO active registration as Patent Attorney in good standing
- Six Sigma certification
- Location: This role can be located anywhere in the US with ability to travel to Elanco’s corporate headquarters in Greenfield, IN, as needed.
- Travel: 0-10%
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status