Interested in joining a cause-driven, customer focused company dedicated to positively impacting the health of animals, people and the planet? Search our job listings below.
The Sr. Assistant General Counsel (SAGC), Business Development is a leading legal role in our BD group working with other BD and legal colleagues, encompassing complex business transactions, mergers & acquisitions, divestment, licensing and innovation agreements, negotiations with internal and external parties, and providing sound advice to our business leaders on legal aspects involving deal pursuits, business strategy and competitive issues; the role is a new role, reporting directly to Deputy General Counsel, Global Head of IP & Business Development, and will be a key member of the Global IP/BD team.
- Responsible for counselling business area(s) leaders on key business legal risks, jurisdictional matters, strategies involving risk mitigation and commercial optimization, and ensuring agreements are inclusive of business strategies and at appropriate legal risk positions.
- Trusted Advisor and legal business partner to internal clients in developing a deal playbook and strategy, detailed drafting of complex and technical agreements reflecting deal needs and specifics.
- Successfully develop, template, and socialize legal processes to implement internally developed and internally-led BD legal deal agreements, appropriate terms across all aspects of deals, and develop and communicate risk assessments associated with agreement and deal pursuits.
- Directly handle with internal colleague(s) and team support, occasionally with assistance of external counsel, deal definition, transaction document development, specific term and strategy positions on a case-by-case basis, negotiations with internal and external parties, agreements, identification and handling of associated rights and regulatory issues, and performing as promised within an intellectually-intense environment.
- Directly handle draft agreements of varying complexities, SAPAs, joint venture transactions, co-development terms, procurement and supply related activities, divestments, settlements, asset incubation opportunities, asset and technology acquisitions, complex funding deals, royalty share deals, licensing and innovation agreements, and more, as assigned.
- Handle all deal terms and business issues identifying, socializing and recommending risk-appropriate positions to senior executives in all aspects of deals presented, including but not limited to employment law, anti-trust issues, sales and cross-border issues, regulatory and tax matters, business and corporate law, real estate, environmental, finance, intellectual property and innovation, etc.
- Conduct due diligence and asset assessment for select opportunities.
- Handle diverse opportunities, bring exceptional project management to the team, and close deals efficiently by efficiently and effectively managing the workflow of assigned transactions and the different groups of people involved, all while ensuring complete and comprehensive understanding of the clients’ business needs and goals for each transaction.
- Work with teams comprised of experts and leaders internally, externally, locally and globally, of varying engagement with extremely aggressive timelines and schedules, while maintaining strong operating decorum and professional stature under all conditions.
- Conduct and follow-through on closure of negotiated deals, assist and lead in integration of agreed-to business deals for the company, and issue lessons-learned from closed transactions to continuously improve the global process.
- Serve as key liaison with other cross-functional departments, bringing legal leadership and strategy, with gravitas, to the deal team.
- Scientific undergraduate degree
- Juris Doctor or equivalent legal degree
- At least ten (10) years in practice and experience in providing legal counsel on business development, M&A, divestiture, and related legal deals with a deal-focused law firm or major corporation, either as primary lead or secondary attorney who was responsible for the details and ‘heavy-lifting.’.
- Solid legal generalist, with exceptional M&A talents, including significant experience drafting, negotiating and executing successfully terms, agreements, and complex deals of sizable value.
- Active State bar registrations with Certificates of Good Standing
- Demonstrated ability to perform successfully in cross-functional teams
- Be able to handle multiple projects in fast-paced environment and exercise sound legal judgement
- Capable of providing legal and strategic guidance to senior management and functional organizational leadership
- In addition to top-notch legal skills, must have excellent interpersonal, strategic thinking, communication, and organizational skills.
- Applies innovative problem-solving skills and judgment to assist in managing corporate risk
- Delivers work product within business constraints in a demanding environment while balancing competing client requests
- Proven experience successfully navigating corporate, state, & federal legal environments.
- Proven ability to educate internal clients on processes, procedures and risks associated with awareness education, performing with complete integrity for on-going deals, and delivering on promises made.
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Elanco Animal Health does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
Additional Skills & Preferences:
- Exceptional and proven legal expert having direct contract and agreement development, drafting, and closing abilities, with strong negotiation, communications and understanding of risk complexities.
- Prior medium and large deal engagement as active primary legal lead or secondary behind-the-scenes attorney performing and responsible for delivery and success.
- Familiarity with the animal health or crop science industry
- Strong business acumen and mindset towards collaboration
- Advanced degree(s) in pharma, chemistry, biochemistry, etc.
- Advanced degree in business (e.g., MBA, DBA)
- Preferred experience delivering multi-million-dollar wins (M&A) and divestment successes, for significant deals
- Prior experience in fields of pharmaceuticals, biotech, medical devices, business intelligence, and/or animal health
- Six Sigma certification
Location: This role can be located anywhere in the US with ability to travel to Elanco’s corporate headquarters in Greenfield, IN, as needed.
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status