As a leading global animal health company, Elanco delivers innovative products and services to improve the health of pets and farm animals around the world because we believe making animals’ lives better, makes life better. Since 1954, we have provided solutions that support veterinarians, farmers and pet owners to advance our vision of Food and Companionship Enriching Life. Elanco’s promise to employees: Together, we foster an inclusive culture where everyone can make a difference, encouraging ownership, growth and well-being.
The Sr. Advisor – HR Strategic Business Partner (SBP) is accountable for ensuring that the business or global function they support has the organizational capabilities, leadership and talent that are needed and to achieve both long and short term business objectives. This role reports directly to the Senior VP Global HR Business Partnership. This role directly supports the executive leadership of Global G&A (Finance, IT, HR/Comms, Legal.
This role predominantly provides strategic and operational advice, consultation, and coaching and is expected to influence the senior leadership of the BU/Function on organization and people-related issues that are critical to achieving business priorities and objectives for which the business leaders are ultimately accountable.
This role participates actively in the strategic and operational management of the function or sub-functions. This role is expected to provide proactive leadership for overall human capital performance, organization diagnosis, design and change management, talent management, leadership development, and the total reward strategy for the unit.
This role works with subject matter experts in HR including compensation & benefits, talent acquisition, leadership development and talent management to ensure that the policies, programs, and plans best serve the needs of the business that they support.
Business and Human Capital Performance.
Outcomes: The SBP is accountable for advising and influencing the business unit/function leader and leadership team to ensure that the organization, talent management & leadership development practices and rewards are appropriate and effectively enable the unit to:
- Achieve expected business results (financial, customer, product, pipeline, quality, etc.)
- Achieve expected levels of workforce productivity
- Achieve appropriate levels of talent retention
- Achieve high levels of employee engagement
- Maximize the return on investments in human capital (reward and development investments in particular)
Organization Diagnosis, Intervention Design, and Change Management.
Outcome: The SBP advises and influences other senior business leaders of their BU or Function to ensure that the BU or Function is appropriately designed to achieve its strategic and operational business objectives. This includes ensuring that business processes, structure, management processes & governance processes and practices, people/talent management processes and practices, leadership behavior, and culture are aligned to the business strategy and expected results.
- Participate as a member of the BU/Function leadership team long-range and business planning processes.
- Ensure that the leadership team has identified critical organization capabilities needed to execute the business strategy
- The HRBP is accountable to ensure that the BU or Function has a change agenda or change plan that identifies the high-impact organization and people-related changes needed to achieve long-range and business plan objectives including critical organizational capabilities. This role is accountable for planning, developing, and implementing those changes.
- This person influences and advises other senior business leaders in the appropriate
diagnosis of business problems and in the selection or design of appropriate actions or interventions to improve business performance.
- The HRBP is accountable to ensure that there is an effective change management plan for significant strategic changes in the organization including communications, training, employee involvement strategies, and change leadership.
Talent Management and Leadership Development.
Outcome: The SBP advises and influences other senior business leaders in the planning, selection, staffing, development and management of the BU/Functional workforce to achieve appropriate levels of performance, employee engagement, and retention of key talent. In particular the SBP advises and influences other senior business leaders to ensure that there is an appropriate leadership pipeline for key positions within the BU/Function and the corporation.
- As part of the long-range and business planning processes, the HRBP is responsible for leading the development of a strategic workforce plan to ensure that the BU/Function will have the talent it needs (quantity and quality) to achieve its strategic objectives within headcount and other relevant targets.
- The HRBP provides performance coaching to the senior leadership of the BU/Function including his/her personal effectiveness in all aspects of their job responsibilities, including the management of others’ performance.
- Develop plans and strategies to proactively manage the retention and development of key talent including current and future leadership talent.
- The HRBP is responsible for the documentation and management of the succession pipeline for key positions.
- Provide coaching on the performance and development of current and potential leadership talent.
- The HRBP provides coaching to the senior leadership team of the BU/Function on their performance as a leadership team.
Total Reward Strategy.
Outcome: The SBP is accountable for advising and influencing senior leaders to ensure that total rewards and recognition plans and programs (monetary and non-monetary) drive critical business performance
- Lead the development of the BU/Function rewards strategy and plans in consultation with appropriate subject matter experts.
- This role provides performance coaching to the senior leadership team to ensure
differentiation of performance and appropriate distribution of rewards according to performance.
Interface between the business and the HR COEs and outside HR, Organization, Team, and Change Consultants.
Outcome: Ensure that services deployed in the BU/function that are provided by HR COEs, HR Operations and outside consultants are appropriate to the business’ needs, are effectively deployed, and achieve the expected results.
- This role is responsible for advising other senior business leaders in the identification and selection of the appropriate internal or external resources to assist with a given change or intervention.
- This person is responsible for communicating business requirements to the HR COEs to ensure that programs, plans and policies appropriately address critical, strategic business requirements as well as enabling the successful deployment of HR processes and programs in the BU/Function.
- This role accountable to ensure that interventions and programs deployed within the
BU/Function appropriately consider the input and advice of subject matter experts from the HR COEs, HR Operations, and other organizations.
- The HRBP is responsible for measuring and evaluating the results actually realized from changes in processes, programs, and interventions in their unit.
- Translate Strategy to Action: Demonstrated ability to think strategically and develop simple, straightforward, effective, and transparent plans that can be fully executed on a timely basis.
- Strong evidence of both a strategic and “hands on” leadership orientation
- Outcomes Focus: Demonstrated both a bias for action and focus on results
- Problem Solving: Demonstrated ability to appropriately diagnose complex business
problems, select or create appropriate interventions and effectively implement those interventions.
- Measurement Orientation: Demonstrated ability and propensity to use data, measurement, and analytics to diagnose problems and to evaluate the actual effect of changes implemented.
- Business Acumen: Understands what is critical and unique to performance this unit and the implications for the organization and people.
- Business Integration Knowledge: Ability to recognize the interdependencies of this unit and others, how line and support functions connect, and to apply knowledge of integration to the HR solutions deployed.
- Systems Thinking: Demonstrated ability to recognize the interdependencies between
strategy, organization, talent, and performance and to effectively drive appropriate action. Ability to recognize that concerns/issues are related to a broader system of actions and reactions.
- Courage: Demonstrated ability to provoke or motivate the business partner as well as other HR professionals to think and act beyond what is normally expected. Act with no fear of speaking up against the status quo. Can perceive areas of receptivity and resistance and effectively leverage those to drive change.
- Adaptability (Learning Agility): Ability to adapt quickly to complex circumstances and
situations, learn while doing, and navigate through an ambiguous situation or issue quickly.
- Influence: Ability to influence and steer people at all levels, without authority, convince
partners at varying levels to accept/appreciate/need HR insights. In particular, the demonstrated ability to influence senior executives. Excellent written and oral communication.
- Experience in the application of a variety of organizational, team, and individual
- Demonstrated expertise in strategic and operational planning, organization design,
executive team development, leadership development, performance coaching, and/or rewards design
- Understanding of reward systems design
- Internal and external consulting experience
- Experience supporting global functions
- Supervisory experience
- Finance, IT, HR, Corporate Affairs or Legal experience
- Bachelors Degree
- Advanced degree (e.g. MBA) with emphasis in organization development, human
resources, leadership development (or related discipline) or equivalent experience a plus
- Ability to travel in the US and occasionally globally
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status