Indiana Crop Improvement Association | Lafayette, IN
ICIA has been an industry leader in seed certification, seed quality testing, genetic testing, and
research for more than 120 years. ICIA is a non-profit, self-supporting agency that exists to provide
services to member customers in the seed, grain, food, and related industries. At ICIA,
uncompromised quality and customer service are our top priorities.
Responsible for supervising the day-to-day operations of all native testing, warm germination, cold
testing, and saturated cold testing activities.
The Seed Lab Specialist reports to Seed Lab Director
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Responsible for managing the seed lab testing program which includes all aspects of native, warm, cold,
and saturated cold testing.
• Responsible for planning and executing part-time employee labor needs in the Seed Lab in cooperation
with the Seed Lab Director.
• Responsible for day-to-day supervision of employees involved with the Seed Lab.
• Responsible for equipment calibration and maintenance of equipment in the Seed Lab.
• Assure that all Seed Lab tests are conducted according to the documented rules, guidelines, procedures,
or work instructions.
• Responsible for monitoring and ordering supplies.
• Responsible for monitoring and maintaining Vault.
• Assists with ISO certification program.
• Assists with long range and strategic planning.
• Attend appropriate seed testing meetings and conferences.
• Assists management with many activities associated with managing a business.
• Makes recommendations regarding purchases within the Seed Lab.
• Prepares educational information and assists with workshops and other meetings.
• Performs Canadian Grade Testing.
• Assists with telephone inquiries, answering and relaying calls.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of the AOSA Rules for Testing Seed
• Knowledge of Seed Lab programs and procedures
• Knowledge of supplies and equipment used for conducting tests
• Knowledge of modern business communications – including computer use
• Knowledge of safety procedures for operating various pieces of equipment
• Knowledge of ISO certification
• Ability to keep abreast of new trends/technologies in the seed testing industry and adapt within ICIA,
• Ability to work with subordinate employees and help coordinate work schedules
• Flexibility to work in an environment with seasonal pressures
• A bachelor’s degree in an agriculture field from an accredited institution, a Registered Seed Technologist
• A commitment to the mission and ISO quality policy of the organization
• An attitude toward work which includes flexibility, initiative, cooperation, and a willingness to get the job
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• This is a full-time, exempt position
• Due to the nature of duties and responsibilities of this position, the individual must be willing to accept a
time commitment which at times could exceed 40 hours per week and which could include some evening
and weekend work
• Written acceptance of the Association’s Personnel Policy Guide for full-time employees
This description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the individual in
this position. It is not an exclusive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be required.
Interested candidates can submit a résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org