As a leading global animal health company, Elanco delivers innovative products and services to improve the health of pets and farm animals around the world because we believe making animals’ lives better, makes life better. Since 1954, we have provided solutions that support veterinarians, farmers and pet owners to advance our vision of Food and Companionship Enriching Life. Elanco’s promise to employees: Together, we foster an inclusive culture where everyone can make a difference, encouraging ownership, growth and well-being.
This position directly supports the Elanco’s Technical Development (TD) Organization in its mission to deliver Innovation, Characterization and Control. The primary responsibilities of this role are to drive the next generation purification strategies, to characterize and control product quality and to develop the robust downstream processes needed to advance Elanco’s early and late phase biomolecules portfolio. The scientist will provide hands-on, day-to-day technical leadership, execution and support of all purification lab activities covering the broad scope of Elanco’s large molecule portfolio with initial emphasis on delivering Elanco’s monoclonal antibody platform.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to experimental design and analysis of purification operations, technical program leadership, lab supervision, collaboration with internal and external partners and technology transfer with manufacturing partners. This role’s deliverables will additionally include authoring and executing protocols, batch records and technical reports.
Functions, Duties, Tasks:
- Provide subject matter expertise to downstream process and formulations development. Leverage knowledge/experience to accelerate and optimize production.
- Build a downstream platform based upon technical innovation, solid economics and an appropriate risk/phase-based approach
- Introduce new techniques and technologies. Keep pace with the expertise in the field and the competitive landscape
- Support Nutritional Health (enzymes, probiotics) Vaccines and Biotherapeutics process development
- Provide Individual Contributor expertise with personal development into a leading strategic influencer
- Development high throughput purification capabilities to support, Resin screening, Purification Design Space definition, Discovery enablement (material supply), and Establishing robust Control Strategy
- Manage project scope, deliverables, timelines and budget to facilitate delivery of Elanco’s pipeline
- Work effectively across all R&D teams, manufacturing and with external collaborators
- Facilitate technology transfer with internal and external partners
- Author technical reports, SOP’s, batch records and tech transfer documents
- Identify, select and coordinate external consultants, CRO’s and CMO’s. Establish contract agreements and maintain positive business collaborations
Minimum Qualification (education, experience and/or training, required certifications):
- B.S. (1-5yrs), M.S. (+1yrs), biochemistry or other biotechnology related degree
- Experience working with purification of large molecule product streams (Monoclonal Antibodies, Proteins, Antigens….)
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status