About the role….
This is a great opportunity for a highly-motivated and dedicated Research Scientist to join our Molecular breeding and Genotyping Team to support Inari’s breeding and product development pipeline. You will engage as a research scientist and technical expert to support molecular breeding and SNP genotyping in a production-scale and high-throughput team. If you are looking for a challenging opportunity in a fast-growing and production environment, this role is for you. The role will be based in West Lafayette, IN.
As a Scientist, Molecular Breeding and Genotyping, you will…
- Help build the molecular molecular breeding and SNP genotyping platform to support genomic selection and trait introgression.
- Providing genetic, genomic and molecular biology support to enable and advance the molecular breeding activities across different crops.
- Develop and implement the state-of-the-art SNP genotyping technology to enhance molecular breeding and trait introgression.
- Drive genetic map, design and Implement SNP based assays for native allele and transgenic trait markers to be used in breeding.
- Optimize and implement new markers while monitoring existing markers for use in a high throughput marker lab.
- Establish efficient and effective methods of introducing new markers into the production process.
- Drive the continuous improvement to increase the capacity for the platform.
- Serves as a technical expert in the area of plant genetics, molecular breeding and trait markers to determine analytical direction, and ensure milestone achievement.
- Communicate with plant breeders for trait projects and plan deadlines.
- Conduct regular stakeholder meetings and provide reports to deliver updates and promote customer satisfaction.
- Interpret data; maintain an accurate, comprehensive, and current laboratory record.
- Communicate results in written technical reports and oral presentations.
- A Ph.D. with a minimum of 2 years of experience working in a research and development environment, or MA/MS degree with 7+ years of experience, or a BA/BS with 10+ years of experience in a relevant scientific discipline (e.g. Plant Breeding, Crop Science, Plant Genetics, Agronomy, Molecular Biology).
- In-depth experience with high density sequence analysis, genetic QTL mapping,single marker analysis and GWAS using a variety of tools.
- Extensive hands-on experience in SNP genotyping (PCR-based and NGS technology) in a production-scale environment.
- Strong technical expertise with a wide range of molecular analytical technologies such as targeted amplicon resequencing, capture sequencing, and other NGS, PCR, and qPCR-based transgene analysis. Can oversee all aspects of assay development from design to validation.
- Experience in automated high-throughput SNP genotyping workflows.
- In-depth technical background in molecular breeding, plant genetics and trait introgression.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Curiosity and a desire to continuously learn and have a meaningful impact.
- Creative and strategic thinking, willingness to be bold and take risks.
- A collaborative approach, open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives, and feedback across multiple site locations.
- A strong sense of purpose and drive to develop unique, high impact solutions.
- Adaptability and enthusiasm for new challenges, innate curiosity, and a passion for learning.
- Creative and strategic thinking, willingness to be bold and take risks, and the ability to recognize and learn from failure.
- A collaborative mindset that is open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives, and feedback.
- Ability to work both independently and deliver on responsibilities within a highly collaborative environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a diverse range of individuals and audiences.
- Prior experience working in a production-scale molecular marker laboratory.
- Working knowledge in Bioinformatics
Inari is the SEEDesign™ company. We embrace the diversity and complexity of nature in every aspect of our business to drive innovation – to push the boundaries of what is possible. Through our unrivaled technology platform, Inari uses predictive design and advanced multiplex gene editing to develop step-change products. We are taking a nature positive approach to unlock the full potential of seed that will transform the food system. The results will lead to more productive acres delivering value creation for farmers and a more sustainable future for our planet.
Our success is dependent on great minds, collaborating to generate bright ideas and deliver exceptional outcomes.
We have over 170 employees, with research sites in Cambridge, MA (USA) and Ghent (Belgium), as well as a product development site in West Lafayette, IN (USA). We’ve deliberately built a team that brings diversity of thought to all aspects of our business, to generate new ideas, approaches, and ways of operating. And we’ve intentionally combined experience with potential, bringing agriculture industry experts with the desire to innovate together with bright minds from academia, human therapeutics, software, and consulting. If you want to be part of a diverse and inclusive team developing unique solutions to feed the world while protecting our planet’s natural resources, we’d love to hear from you!
- Employee organized groups, regular social events, and volunteer opportunities provide ways for us to forge personal connections and have fun
- A strong focus on professional development, with both internal and external learning opportunities
- Collaboration opportunities with external stakeholders through interactions with our Scientific Advisory Community
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance; competitive parental leave