Internship Dates: May through August, start and finish dates are negotiable
General Description: The Emergency Operations Center (EOC) Interns will be the primary staff for the Indiana State Fairgrounds Operations Center (ISFOC). Interns will assist with updating policies and plans for the State Fair as well as assist with employee training. This position will work closely with professionals across a variety of agencies including the State Police, Indianapolis Fire Department, Indianapolis EMS, Red Cross, and private security. Interns will gain practical knowledge and experience in operational management and resource coordination in support of incident response. This position is appropriate for undergraduate or graduate students who desire a career in emergency management with an interest in disaster response, event/venue safety and security, and/or homeland security.
- Assess the risk of various event setups and behaviors of guests and employees and suggest solutions to help mitigate risk.
- Staff the State Fair Operations Center. Duties include answering the main security phone line, dispatching security officers or emergency response personnel, and maintaining communication during any emergency.
- Coordinate safety and security needs for different events and projects on the fairgrounds including the Indiana State Fair.
- Assist with planning and creation of procedures that will govern the Fairgrounds when emergency response is necessary.
- Interact with guest and other personnel daily and provide a high level of customer service during complex situations.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Background or education in law enforcement or public safety preferred.
- Strong computer skills in MS Word, MS Excel, and Windows Explorer.
- Knowledge of NIMS and ICS concepts preferred.