The Research Scientist on the Process Development-Vaccines team will facilitate the efficient and timely progression of R&D projects according to agreed budgets and milestones through the practical application of scientific expertise and project leadership skills. In addition, the Research Scientist will be responsible for identifying and applying new technologies and innovations to update the capabilities of the analytical development laboratory.
Through application of scientific training and relevant experience, the individual will be responsible for working with a team of scientists to develop processes for animal vaccine manufacturing.
Functions, Duties, Tasks:
- Work with multidisciplinary and cross-functional teams executing R&D animal vaccine programs.
- Enable the timely execution and progression of projects through the practical application of scientific expertise, which may include planning, protocol preparation, hands-on laboratory work, or training and supervision of others.
- Identify and develop new viral/bacterial vaccine production processes.
- Design and execute studies to establish a detailed understanding of critical process parameters.
- Actively support a culture of high accountability to the sponsor (Vaccine Species Teams) by role modeling Elanco values and behaviors.
- Serve as process development lead of projects and present the scientific findings in the project team meetings
- Provides technical support as needed.
- Write protocols, reports and presentations to be presented internally and externally.
- Plans, prioritizes, and manages workload for large and complex projects.
- Maintain infrastructure of laboratory and an organized, clean and safe working environment
- Evaluate and incorporate new laboratory and process equipment, innovation and techniques.
- Play an active role in ensuring a safe, compliant and productive working environment for all research associates
Basic Minimum Qualification
- PhD with 0-1 years of experience or MS with 5+ years of experience
- Demonstrable subject matter expertise in process development and controls
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- High personal ethical and quality standards
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Elanco does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
- At least 3 years of experience working in veterinary vaccines R&D
- Experience in bacteriology and/or virology and bacterial/viral antigen production in the human or animal vaccine industry.
- Experience in protein quantitation, purification and characterization is highly desirable.
- Proven project leadership skills and strong interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge of the vaccines regulatory environment in the US and/or EU
- Working knowledge of the USDA and GMP vaccines manufacturing environment
- Occasional travel (mainly US), 10-25%
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status