As the Research Scientist, you will be expected to take the lead in developing image analysis and machine vision algorithms to create critical and novel traits that empower assessment and quantification of physiological processes of various plants, and to enable the study in plant tolerance of different stress. In this role, you will also be expected to lead the efforts to integrate the established algorithms into the data process pipelines that enable big data analysis in high-throughput plant phenotyping studies in various plants.
- Developing machine vision and image analysis algorithms which facilitate the creation of novel and/or critical traits to empower the quantification of physiological processes of various plants, and to enable assessment of plant tolerance to various biotic and abiotic stress
- Contributing to application of novel machine learning methodologies in image analysis for plant phenotyping studies
- Coordinating the implementation of novel algorithms into big data analysis and high throughput plant phenotyping data pipelines that enable the automated image processing and analysis for the current and future imaging and sensing systems in Purdue University’s phenotyping facilities
- Collaborating with plant phenotyping facility managers to coordinate the management and processing of image data collected from imaging systems/platforms in the facilities, such as UAV-based imaging systems, X-ray imaging system, RGB, and hyperspectral imaging systems
- Providing consultation, coaching, and technical support in both traditional image analysis techniques and machine-learning-based image analysis platforms to customers and partners
- Communicating results to key stakeholders
- Developing data management protocols and systems that are capable of handling data of large volumes and different varieties, and providing easy access by way of a graphical user interface (GUI) and standard application programming interface (API)
- Master’s degree in Agricultural and Biosystem engineering, computer/electronic engineering, computational biology, or other relevant background
- 4 years of proven hands-on experience in machine vision, image analysis, and/or machine learning
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills to work with plant biologist, IT support team, engineers and algorithm developers
- Knowledge and experiences in multiple programming languages and platforms, such as Python, R, Matlab, ENVI, PlantCV, ImageJ etc.
- Familiar with the operation in manipulating georeferenced imagery and/or remote sensing image processing
- Capability to work independently or as a team member
- Strong skills in spoken and written English
- This is a 2 year, limited duration position (through 1/2024); benefits do apply.
- All new hires will be expected to follow Protect Purdue guidelines. To learn more, visit https://bit.ly/3DH3z6f
- A background check will be required for employment.
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible for Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contribution Waiting Period.
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.