PURPOSE AND SCOPE
Interns will be responsible for learning about and assisting with Beck’s Research Department. Interns will have the opportunity to take part in several facets of corn and soybean research including performance testing, corn breeding, molecular markers, transformation, and product development.
- Travel and work at Beck’s location for an extended period of time (housing provided) and assist with preparing seed for the upcoming planting season.
- Travel with Beck’s staff to outlying locations to assist with planting test plots.
- Assist with collecting early and mid-season agronomic notes.
- May travel and work at a Beck’s location for an extended period of time (housing provided) and assist with pollinating Beck’s corn breeding nursery.
- Assist with greenhouse responsibilities which includes planting, pollinating and/or detasseling, shelling/packaging seed, and maintaining an organized greenhouse environment.
- May assist in molecular marker and/or transformation labs.
Other duties as required by supervisor.
1. Education and training:
- Currently enrolled as a college student
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and insurable driving record as determined by Beck’s automobile insurance policy.
- This is a safety-sensitive position.
2. Technical knowledge:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Possess positive attitude
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently, work as a team member and proceed with objectives without supervision
- Overtime is required
- Overnight travel is required
- Agriculture experience preferred