Summary/Purpose of Position:
The primary function or purpose of this position is to provide leadership to the TC Bache and Burton-Russell Research Farms for United Animal Health. Scope of farm operations is approximately 12,000 wean-to-finish swine, 500 broiler birds and 60 dairy calves. The Manager coordinates research farm staff in order to optimize production of healthy, high quality animals while implementing research activities, which generate knowledge and information to support the mission of the company.
Primary Job Responsibilities / Duties:
- Coordinate research activities at both farms to maximize quality and efficiency of research work under protocols established by the research team.
- Hold research farms accountable for effective research methodology and maintaining research schedules.
- Study research schedules and estimate work hour requirements for completion of job assignments.
- Complete operational requirements by assisting team members and conducting weekly meetings to advise staff and troubleshoot problems that affect production and research.
- Coordinate activity and communication with Research team by attending monthly Research meetings.
- Proactively provides needed solutions for execution of new research ideas.
- Maintain and protect the health of the livestock which includes working closely with veterinarians in evaluating records and implementing recommended actions
- Oversee manure application and work with the Indiana Department of Environmental Management on maintaining needed records.
- Identify maintenance needs and protect the safety of the staff and animals.
- Ensure all employees understand and follow the biosecurity and safety restrictions
Additional Job Responsibilities/Duties
- Notify and discuss openly with the management any problems, concerns or questions.
- Conserve farm resources such as supplies and equipment.
- Promote cooperation within office by contributing to effective working relationship and adequate staffing.
- Keep corporate information confidential by adhering to the terms of the employee non-disclosure agreement.
- Communicate openly and freely with others.
- Coach employees on a daily basis and help facilitate staff career planning
- Organize the department to maximize quality and efficiently.
- Coordinate activity and communication with neighbors.
Typical Work Environment
- Majority of work is conducted in an unheated barn environment under dust, noise, and temperature extremes.
Minimum Job Qualification Requirements:
Education / Training:
- BS in Animal Science or Agriculture Degree or equivalent professional experience
Relevant Job Experience:
- 3+ years experience leading others
- 7-10 years swine production experience
Specialized Job / Technical Knowledge:
- Advanced computer skills required.
- Knowledge of swine feeding and care principles
- Thorough understanding of animal research practices and principles
- Knowledge of statistical concepts and principles
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communications skills
- Excellent problem solving and decision making abilities
- Able to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Ability to work as a part of a team
- Must be able to manage and motivate team members and team leaders
- Champion of United cultural values and understands the value of research to the success of the company
Licenses / Certification:
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to lift 50 or more pounds periodically
- Ability to work in hot and cold environments
- Agility to avoid physical contact with unpredictable animals
- Follow all company safety procedures and safety regulations
Additional Preferred Qualifications: