As a Research Data Analyst with Ag Data Services, you will collaborate with researchers in the Department of Botany and Plant Pathology and across the College of Agriculture as they collect, process, and analyze data to make impactful discoveries. Your responsibilities include:
- Understanding the needs of researchers by building relationships and participating in research events like seminars and research symposiums.
- Consulting and training faculty, graduate students, and researchers on using tools, processes, and best practices for effective data management
- Collaborating on research projects by designing practices for stewarding accessible, reusable research data (e.g. metadata, organizational schemas)
- Developing repeatable data pipelines for ETL, quality control, etc. from diverse sources into appropriate data stores
- Collaborating with researchers to apply new analytic techniques and implement more effective processes, leading to quicker discovery along with reproducible procedures and results
- Influencing and implementing improvements to departmental and college data services that support scientific research
- Working with the ADS team and partners like Purdue IT, Libraries, and the Data Mine to provide excellent data services
Your success will increase researchers’ ability to collect, integrate, analyze, and share data in reproducible ways that lead to impactful discoveries. You will be at the forefront of agricultural, food, life, and natural resource sciences, supporting research that benefits people in Indiana, the nation, and the world.
What We’re Looking For:
- Bachelor’s degree in a plant sciences domain (e.g. Botany, Plant Pathology, Plant Biology, Plant genetics, Horticulture, Agronomy, etc.) or related field
- 4 years of experience in one or more of the following areas: data analytics, data science, data modeling, programming, application development, database management, distributed data pipelines
- Excellent communications skills in a customer-facing or relationship-building role, especially in translating customer needs into technical requirements and designs
- Knowledge of statistical or analytical algorithm implementation, data interpretation, data processing, or modeling
- Remote sensing and geospatial data tool skills such as Esri ArcGIS, QGIS, or geospatial programming packages
- Programming skills in general purpose (e.g. Python) or statistical languages (e.g. R)
- Proficiency in using of Unix or Unix-like operating systems
- Capable time and project management skills
Nice to Have:
- Master’s Degree from a department in a college of Agriculture, Natural Resources, Science, or Engineering)
- Experience working with research data or other forms of unstructured data, and applying data management best practices
- Experience working with remote sensing data such as those found in weather stations, soil sensors, phenotyping camera systems, and IoT devices.
- Experience leading small research, data, or technology teams on interdisciplinary projects
What We’d Like You to Know:
- This position has a hybrid option of working remotely 1 day a week
- Learn more about Purdue’s benefits summary, https://bit.ly/3sHGbls
- A Background Check is required for employment in this position
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible For Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contributions Waiting Period
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply
What You’ll Get in Return:
All university employees are afforded a generous benefits package, https://www.purdue.edu/hr/benewell/index.php, including medical/dental/vision insurance, paid time off, and retirement contributions. As part of Purdue University’s expansive employee benefit package, the University is proud to offer its employees the opportunity to grow, learn, and advance by offering a tuition remission opportunity at both Purdue University and Purdue Global.
Take Your Next Giant Leap
We never stop, we keep going, because Discovery is in our DNA, and we want you to discover a Career at Purdue University! Come work alongside a family of diverse culture with faculty, students, and staff who come together to become one, Boilermakers! Our greatest adventures are yet to come, and we want to include you.
Come take your Next Giant Leap and Discover your next career!