Position Title: Research Coordinator – Farms
Group / Department: UAH / Research
Position Reports To: Research Farm Manager
Approx. # of People Supervised: 0
FLSA Classification: Exempt (Salary)
Summary / Purpose of Position:
The primary purpose of this position is to coordinate and oversee the daily activities associated with all research trials at a research farm. This person will work closely with the research scientists and associates to collaborate on ideas to improve research and facilitate the needs of current and upcoming trials, with a breakdown of responsibilities being 30% office-based and 70% in the barn.
Primary Job Responsibilities/Duties, but not limited to the following:
- Oversee the daily tasks associated with current and ongoing research projects. This includes walking barns every day and taking care of animals if no barn caretaker is present.
- Enter daily weights and feed data into Excel spreadsheets and upload to the corporate website.
- Make research trial diets and operate computerized feed systems.
- Lead team members in the process of recording weights of pigs and feed in order to get an accurate feed consumption.
- Assist in general production practices of a grow/finish swine farm and be responsible for all duties associated with it. This includes vaccinating, giving medicinal treatments, recording daily observations, monitoring ventilation, light equipment operation and occasional powerwashing.
Preferred Qualifications: Please note that although the following qualifications are preferred, candidates with diverse backgrounds, education, and experiences will be considered for this role.
Skill & Knowledge Requirements:
- Background in animal agriculture
- Knowledge of research trial protocols and practices
- Moderate ability to utilize spreadsheets for data entry and analysis
- Basic understanding of animal nutrition principles
- Bachelor’s Degree in Animal Science, Agriculture or other relevant major, or equivalent professional experience
Relevant Experience Requirements:
- 1-2 years experience working with livestock preferred
- 1+ year experience conducting research preferred
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs regularly
- Ability to work in a farm environment in both hot and cold environments
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Excellent time management and multi-tasking skills
- Detail orientated
- Excellent accuracy of work
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to use Microsoft Office (including Excel) and company e-mail system
- Ability to follow strict bio-security procedures
- Follow all company safety procedures and regulations
- Wear personal protective equipment as appropriate