Purdue University is seeking a self-motivated individual to manage daily activities associated with turf weed research experiments and the turf extension program under the direction of the Turfgrass Extension Specialist. The selected individual will also work cooperatively with other staff to implement turfgrass and weed science research conducted at the William H. Daniel Turfgrass Research and Diagnostic Center as well as offsite on golf courses and commercial turf. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Field and greenhouse plot preparation, planting, irrigation, general maintenance, nutrient and pesticide applications
- Data collection and entry, harvesting, and data analysis and summarization for research and demonstration projects
- Data analysis and summarization for research and demonstration projects and assisting the principle investigator in writing summary reports for research trials and co-authoring peer-reviewed journal articles
- May communicate with collaborators at other institutions and organizations for coordination of project-wide goals, and contribute to project reporting
- Assist in applying for research grants and writing peer-reviewed journal articles
- Assisting with turf Extension efforts including implementation of regional seminars and workshops and for providing assistance in development of materials for extension education programs
- Train undergraduate and graduate students in field work, maintenance, and data collection and entry
- Master’s degree in Agronomy, Horticulture, Natural Resources and Environmental Science, Plant Pathology, Turf Science, Weed Science, or related field
- 1 year of experience in a turfgrass research program or 4 years managing turfgrass on golf courses or athletic fields
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered; (Bachelor’s degree + 3 years of research experience)
- Experience with designing, applying, evaluating, analyzing, and writing-up field experiments
- Computer skills, particularly experience with spreadsheets and word processing are essential as well as an ability to organize electronic files
- Strong oral and written communication skills as well as interpersonal skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent organizational and record keeping skills with high attention to detail
- Ability to work with, train, and supervise undergraduate and graduate students
- Ability to work autonomously and understand safety and standard operating procedures
- Some travel
- Project management and supervisory experience
- Laboratory research experience
- All new hires will be expected to follow Protect Purdue guidelines. To learn more, visit https://bit.ly/3DH3z6f
- Purdue will not sponsor an employment related visa for this position.
- A background check will be required for employment.
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible for Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contribution Waiting Period.
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.