Purpose of Position:
The Regional Key Account Manager-Dairy creates demand and secures sales by professionally promoting, differentiating, delivering, and demonstrating the value of UAH products and services business influencers (independent nutritionists, nutrition consulting firms, feed companies, and veterinary practices) and to large dairy customers (≥ 1000 cows), within a defined geography. Assigned to this geography, the Regional Key Account Manager-Dairy is responsible for achieving sales quota and strategic account objectives. They are also accountable for developing and maintaining regional business plans, aligning UAH activities with account needs, and implementing agreed upon strategies and initiatives. This position would be responsible for designing strategic plans centered on the customer needs and coordinating an execution team to accomplish the mutual goals between our company and the customer
Core Job Responsibilities/Duties:
- Develop business partnerships with identified key customers, prospects, and consultant accounts in a strategic manner.
- Create and execute strategic business plans for each account, balancing UAH offerings and P&L analysis by customer.
- Focus on national multi-state consultant groups, independents, and customers.
- Conversant in each of UAH’s core business units (Microbials, Inoculants, Toxin mitigants, etc.), and knows when to engage appropriate resources to deliver value to UAH and customer.
- Consistently call on accounts in assigned market segments.
- Demonstrates ability to successfully work as a team with complex accounts (customers with multiple decision makers, influencers, etc.).
- Acts as a role model within the sales team; manages pressure and conflict well; transfers knowledge and intel to team members.
- Willingness to assess and take appropriate risks to achieve business goals (within business boundaries).
- Able to initiate projects and action on behalf of the customer and UAH; does not wait for directions.
- Strategically utilizes resources to maximize results; win-win for customer and UAH business.
- Maintain consistent record of meeting or exceeding sales expectations.
- Manage and influence complex customer/account decision-making process with the ability to deal well with ambiguity.
- In depth understanding of the customer as demonstrated and communicated through a comprehensive strategic business plan.
- Work with internal and external teams (ex. product mgmt., marketing, R&D, operations, etc.) to coordinate on a collaborative vision, and design of customized solutions and creates constructive, cross-functional partnerships.
- Communicates with confidence.
- Possesses strong emotional intelligence traits.
- Seeks out and creates new and more effective ways to engage with the customer & team members to be most effective.
- Leads teams to resolve complex customer problems.
- Demonstrates leadership, i.e., mentoring colleagues, ability to transfer knowledge to other team members, teaching skills, shares and role models best practices.
- Manage account forecasts/projections, sales budgets, expenses and promotional budgets and tracks expenses to control costs and operate within targeted goals.
- Balances strategic and tactical business requirements.
- Creatively works with customer to jointly co-create solutions that secure a win-win for UAH and the customer; Articulates impact of interventions on the customer’s business (financial, meeting business goals, etc.).
Additional Job Responsibilities/Duties:
- Sales experience in dairy industry, feed/nutritional, and/or animal health key accounts required
- Collaborates with Director-US Dairy Sales and broader strategic team to establish long-term and annual sales strategies, tactics and targets in order to leverage new business opportunities.
- Research sources for developing prospective customers and for information to determine their potential.
- Offers a full portfolio of new and current products and services offered by UAH and masters new product knowledge and services through partnering with Product Development and Research teams.
- Expedites resolution of customer problems and complaints.
- Establishes productive, professional relationships with key stakeholders in assigned accounts.
- Analyzes and reviews market opportunities and new product development activities that translates into additional sales and revenue generating opportunities.
- Continually learns about new products and improves selling skills.
- Passion for selling and animal agriculture
- Other duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
Typical Work Environment
- Majority of work is conducted remotely in a safe environment such as a vehicle, farm, or home office. A significant amount of time is spent driving to customers and touring customer facilities.
Minimum Job Qualification Requirements:
Education / Training:
- BS Degree in agriculture or other relevant major or equivalent professional experience.
- Business management course work or equivalent professional experience.
Relevant Job Experience:
- 10+ years direct sales experience, preferred
- 5+ years of experience in agriculture-related production environment preferred
- 3+ years of experience in business management and/or sales planning
Specialized Job / Technical Knowledge:
- Knowledge of dairy economics, sales & marketing principles
- General knowledge of dairy nutrition
- Microsoft and solid computer usage skills (Excel, Word, & Power Point)
- Knowledge of Business Management and Leadership principles
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Champion of UAH Culture
- Ability to mentor other sales team members
- Recognized as a Leader
- Ability to deal well with ambiguity
- Self-starter, team player
- Possess ability to determine and set direction
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to adapt to various personalities
- Professional verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to lead, motivate, and contribute to a team atmosphere
- Effective problem solving
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Confident presentation and selling skills
- Energetic, enthusiastic, determined and goal-oriented
Licenses / Certification:
- Valid driver operator license
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. occasionally
- Ability to do overnight travel via air or driving >50% travel may be required
- Follow all company safety procedures and safety regulations
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in agriculture or other relevant major or equivalent professional experience