Do you want to be part of a company that is transforming how it works with data? Do the achievements and opportunities in this article excite you – Data Solutions to Power Decision-Making (linkedin.com)? Do you have passion for data solutions and products?
Elanco is investing in our data and information landscape to become a company that is more data-driven than ever before. The Elanco Research & Development organization generates a large volume of data through research activities, clinical studies, and regulatory information in support of building a robust pipeline of products for animal health. This includes data collected at the bench and in the field and is expanding to include streaming data from devices and other heterogeneous sources. In close collaboration with scientific partners, the R&D Data Domain Lead is responsible for influencing and developing an integrated data science strategy and providing leadership for data-related projects and products across a global research and development function.
In partnership with Innovation and Regulatory leaders, computational scientists, and statisticians, this role will be a key thought leader and enabler for harnessing data to power the innovation engine at Elanco. Opportunities exist to integrate and drive predictive insights from operational data, grow our high-performance computing and advanced analytics capabilities, and explore IoT and edge analytic solutions. To be successful in this position, candidates must have strong domain knowledge in scientific data as well as technical expertise in the design and engineering of data solutions.
The role will be a part of the enterprise DataOps team which is responsible for transforming Elanco into a data-driven company through a dedicated focus on data architecture, engineering, and analytics. In this role, the R&D Domain lead will also partner closely with enterprise data architects and peers to identify and implement global capabilities and deliver data solutions in alignment with Elanco’s enterprise reference architecture and engineering framework. This position reports to the Senior Director IT – DataOps.
Data Domain Leadership
- Partner across R & D stakeholders to develop an integrated data strategy for maximizing value derived from internal data assets and the external data ecosysytem
- Collaborate with business and scientific partners and work within team to identify, scope, and execute analytic efforts to answer business questions, solve business needs, and drive insights for Elanco.
- Maintain a holistic view of the functional data landscape and drive the adoption of data by identifying use cases across Elanco R & D and other enterprise data assets.
- Align data products and pipelines with the enterprise data strategy and architecture.
- Design scalable data pipelines that will ingest, transform, and distribute numerous data streams and batches in support of key initiatives.
- Support and collaborate with Data Scientists developing advanced machine learning and statistical models.
- Participate as a data lead on multi-functional research and IT teams; Prototype, test and learn, and plan the design and integration of workflows applied to a R & D data.
- Identify, design, and implement process improvements opportunity by automating manual processes and optimizing data delivery.
- Where required, deep dive key initiatives to help overcome technical incidents, complex problems and/or realize opportunities.
- Be accountable for contributing to business plan and financial forecasting based on data portfolio.
- Partner with R&D stakeholders to develop comprehensive strategy for leveraging R&D data and creating mechanisms/models to accelerate development and/or improve probability of technical success.
- Engage with R & D leaders on due diligence, proof-of-concepts, and exploratory work to assess partnership and/or new business opportunities.
- Actively engage in the external pharma and animal health science and technology ecosystem in seeking out advances and modern approaches for advanced analytics in the R & D space.
- Actively build and stay abreast of emerging technology in the data space, guiding IT and the business partners on how to interpret and best leverage innovative technologies.
- Collaborate with DataOps enterprise architects to contribute to the enterprise design and delivery of efficient data solution architectures, automation and technology choices starting from experimentation through proof of concept and delivery.
- Proactively engage with the IT community (internally and externally) across multiple channels, looking to share, represent, educate, and inspire.
- Serve as a coach for IT Data Analysts/Engineers to advance individuals’ technical acumen.
- Establish strong partnerships with key service providers, helping to ensure technical competency and architecture alignment.
- B.S. in Information Systems/Computer Science or years of experience in lieu of degree
- 5+ years of experience in architecting and delivering integrated data solutions
- 3+ years of experience building and optimizing data pipelines in cloud/hybrid cloud computing environments (Azure, Google Cloud).
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Elanco Animal Health does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this position
- A background in bioinformatics or similar data-centric science or experience working with an R & D function is strongly preferred
- Proven track record in leading and delivering on complex data projects
- Expertise in data management, information integration and analytics practices and capabilities.
- Experience working with modern data architecture and engineering methodologies (Domain driven data architecture, Scalable data pipelines, DataOps (CI/CD), API-Centric Design, SQL/NoSQL, FAIR data principles, etc.)
- Exposure to projects supporting development of data pipelines and data products using Azure storage, search, catalog, API management, and data processing & analytics services such as Azure Data Factory, Data Bricks, Synapse, and PowerBI.
- Familiarity with Machine Learning workflows.
- Proven track record as a coach and/or mentor in developing technical skills.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills; proven ability to work effectively within a team.
The position has opportunity to be remote.