The Quality Technician – Chemist performs routine physical and analytical testing of packaging, raw material, in-process, and finished product in accordance with official laboratory methods and standards to affirm the production of nutritionally superior pet food. This role is also responsible for driving efficiency and efficacy of all quality systems in the Topeka, Kansas facility.
- Understands and is accountable for full compliance with safety and other EOHS requirements.
- Performs or assists vendor in the installation and qualification phases of laboratory instruments.
- Analyzes ingredients and finished product for moisture, fat, protein, ash, and minerals paralleling compliance to official laboratory methods.
- Performs routine peroxide value, free fatty acid, and mycotoxin testing.
- Responsible for maintaining laboratory equipment and equipment calibrations.
- Understands precautions in handling reagents and disposal of chemical waste according to local and environmental regulations.
- Conducts internal and external audits of Quality Systems.
- Participates and executes of corrective action planning and remediation.
- Prepares, organizes, and stores library samples.
- Adheres to quality programs such as HACCP, SOPs, and document control.
- Prepare samples for Third Party analysis
- Ability to perform NIR testing according to SOP’s and maintain calibrations as required
- Maintains and troubleshoots quality systems, equipment and programs including metal detectors, scales, and check-weights.
- Assists in SAP processes / transactions such as hold/release, product traceability and recall, and regulatory compliance.
- Identifies continuous improvement opportunities for Quality and Micro issues.
- Conducts training for plant personnel regarding Quality and Laboratory procedures.
- Measures, records, and reports plant KPI’s (Key Performance Indicators).
- Comply with Best Laboratory & Documentation Practices
- Able to conduct CAPA analysis on out of specification laboratory results
- Orders lab supplies and maintaining budget goals
- Maintains proficiency in SAP process flow and application.
- Able to quickly retrieve and understand data to support FDA, USDA, external and internal audit requests.
- Works any shift as needed, and troubleshoots quality issues over the phone during off hours.
- Understands bioterrorism initiatives and food safety and regulatory standards.
- Researches new methods and equipment through the participation in projects with other departments.
- Provides finished product data and analytical results of test products for the Pet Nutrition Center.
- Understands plant floor operations and equipment
- Other job duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biology, Agricultural Science, Food Science or related field. OR Bachelor’s degree with 3+ years’ experience in analytical laboratory in food, consumer product or pharmaceutical industry
- Ability to work any work schedule, including weekends.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- 5 or more years of experience in an analytical laboratory.
- Knowledge of quality systems.
- Computer skills including email, spread sheet, presentation and data base management.
- Good technical, communications, and interpersonal skills.
- Previous experience using SAP.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Broad Supply Chain perspective.
- Knowledge of analytical method validation
Equal Opportunity Employer
Colgate is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, marital status, veteran status (United States positions), or any other characteristic protected by law
Are you interested in working for Hill’s Pet Nutrition? You can apply online and attach all relevant documents such as a cover letter and resume or CV. Applications received by e-mail are not considered in the selection process. Become part of our team. We look forward to your application.
Work that matters, fueled by passion for pets! At Hill’s we have a purpose. Every day around the world, we transform the lives of millions of pet families through pioneering innovation, amazing nutrition, and the best and brightest people. Founded more than 75 years ago with an unwavering commitment to pet nutrition, Hills’ mission is to help enrich and lengthen the special relationships between people and their pets.
HILL’S® Prescription Diet® therapeutic pet foods, HILL’S® Science Diet® and HILL’S® Ideal Balance™ wellness pet foods are sold worldwide. Hill’s is a division of Colgate-Palmolive, a leading global consumer products company, tightly focused on Oral Care, Personal Care, Home Care and Pet Nutrition, with sales of products in more than 200 countries. To learn more about Hill’s and Colgate, please visit and , or find us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
Reasonable accommodation during the application process is available for persons with disabilities. Please contact Application_Accommodation@colpal.com with the subject “Accommodation Request” should you require accommodation.