Date: Dec 17, 2023
Location: Morristown, IN -Indiana, US, 46161
At Bunge, people don’t just come here to work, they come here to grow – solving challenges that directly impact the world with a diverse team of thinkers and doers. Bunge offers a strong compensation and benefits package, vacation time and opportunity to progress. Most importantly, in all we do we live our values:
• Act as One Team by fostering inclusion, collaboration, and respect
• Drive for Excellence by being agile, innovative and efficient
• Do What’s Right by acting safely, ethically, and sustainably
The Quality and Food Safety (QFS) Manager provides leadership and is responsible for supervising all quality, food and feed safety related matters for the facility. The role of Quality and Food Safety is to ensure that controls are in place to meet customer and regulatory requirements for the products produced.
The primary function of this position is to ensure the integrity and safety of food products throughout the manufacturing process utilizing various standards and established testing methods, operating procedures and adherence to protocols and policies.
The QFS Manager is responsible for coordination and monitoring of work activities of associates engaged in performing chemical and physical tests required for quality control of processes and for soybean meal, oil and ready-to-eat plant-based protein and lecithin products produced at the plant’s crushing, oil refinery and soy protein concentrate operations. This person will lead large projects/initiatives and serve on various cross-functional teams as they will interact with various internal and external groups including customers, suppliers, and auditors.
This position requires strong leadership skills, demonstrated by good communication, organization and coordination skills. The QFS Manager will foster and sustain excellent relations with direct reports, peers and co-workers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the plant QFS Policies and Procedures.
- Ensures that lab procedures conform to AOCS Official methods; trains personnel as required to maintain conformance to established methods for NIR/FTIR, ICP, GC, etc.
- Develop and improve quality control analysis for soybean meal, pellets, soybean oil, lecithin and soy protein concentrate products.
- Monitor lab results to ensure that raw products and finished products are within specification or resolve non-compliance issues with production and/or R&D personnel.
- Compile and analyze test information to determine operating efficiency of processes and equipment and to work with Operations to diagnose malfunctions.
- Work closely with scientists and/or engineers to develop and test custom products, and to also develop and analyze nonstandard tests for products.
- Represent the company with on-site customer auditors, third party auditors, food safety inspection/audits and state/federal inspectors.
- Work with Plant QA/QC personnel and Technicians and Production personnel to ensure customer expectations are met and plant inspections are executed according to plan.
- Interface with Crush Manager, Commercial Manager, Refinery Manager and Protein Manager daily to communicate and address any quality issues/concerns.
- Maintain QC laboratory equipment calibrations and ensure procurement of all lab supplies.
- Review information from suppliers to ensure proper product conformance, requirements and regulations are met.
- Manage the facility Food Defense Plan.
- Lead Food Safety Team and work with Operations Manager in management of plant HACCP/Food Safety Plan, including improvements and updates of documentation.
- Arrange for/conduct external and internal audits of the Food Safety Plan, as required.
- Coordinate recall program including annual mock recalls (includes required traceability exercises).
- Conduct annual Food Safety GMP training of company employees and temporary workers.
- Coordinate plant sanitation program, including monthly internal sanitation inspections with Operations Manager. Make recommendations to other Managers on sanitation issues.
- Serve as primary contact on all Lab Information Management System (LIMS, SAP, etc.) issues and inquiries.
- Ensure that customer complaints, concerns and/or inquiries receive adequate responses in a timely fashion.
- Use of Supply QA TraceGains program, with the support of Corporate QFS, for the management of suppliers/vendors.
- Coordinate collaborative testing and check samples.
- Conduct regular assessment of QFS systems.
- Demonstrate credibility, willingness to listen and take action when necessary.
- Effectively communicate employee disciplinary matters to Plant Manager and Human Resources and administer disciplinary program when necessary.
- Directly supervise employees in the Quality Assurance department, including Supervisors and/or Lab Technicians.
- Conducts timely coaching sessions and performance appraisals with staff.
- Rewards and disciplines employees; addresses complaints and resolves issues as needed.
- Manages and administers Safety Program to all Lab employees; Ensures compliance with all company policies, rules, and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Chemical Engineering or Chemistry preferred.
- Minimum 6+ years of position related experience, or equivalent combo of education and experience level. Food production environment experience required. Experience in Ready-to-Eat manufacturing preferred.
- PCQI (Preventative Controls Qualified Individual) certification.
- Knowledge of FDA regulations and standards associated with food and feed manufacturing.
- Practical experience in:
- Pest Control
- Environmental Monitoring Programs
- Sanitation (dry and wet-based)
- Internal Audits
- Kosher/Halal programs
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SAP and other technical software packages, as needed.
- Demonstrate ability to work safely and to promote safe work practices in others.
- Excellent verbal, written, and listening skills.
Bunge (NYSE: BG) is a world leader in sourcing, processing and supplying oilseed and grain products and ingredients. Founded in 1818, Bunge’s expansive network feeds and fuels a growing world, creating sustainable products and opportunities for more than 70,000 farmers and the consumers they serve across the globe. The company is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri and has 25,000 employees worldwide who stand behind more than 350 port terminals, oilseed processing plants, grain facilities, and food and ingredient production and packaging facilities around the world.
Bunge is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or military or veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Bunge is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled