The Academic IT Specialist’s (AITS) role understands the technology needs, ranging from core IT to emerging technology, of faculty, staff, and students in departments across the College of Agriculture. This position actively consults with faculty, departmental staff, and students to assess and address technology needs that enables teaching, research, and engagement, as well as collaborates with University- and College-wide technology partners to maintain awareness of emerging technology developments, especially those that impacts the Digital Ag and AgTech space. The AITS role manages departmental IT systems and other technologies to further Department, College, and University missions and ensure continuity of technology capabilities.
- Conduct analysis and stay engaged to understand academic/departmental technology to resolve complex issues that often involve the input/expertise/work of others
- Consult with College of Agriculture departments on specific technology needs regarding research, teaching and engagement goals
- Inform on and promote best practice processes and security implementations
- Actively participate in AgIT cross-functional teams, bringing expertise to a strategic and solutions-driven organization
- Collaborate with other teams to inform strategy, policy, and process towards continuous improvement of enterprise-, college-, and department-level technology policies, capabilities and services
- Maintain engagement with college- and university-wide technology activities and committees to foster a collaborative environment
- Procure, deploy, and maintain department-specific technology resources supporting research, instruction, and outreach on campus and at remote locations such as farms and Purdue Agricultural Centers
- Promote the use of technical capabilities used by departmental personnel in teaching, research, and extension activities
- Identify opportunities for optimizing IT/technology efficiencies and cost savings to departments and the College
- Respond to unexpected and emergency situations in the department(s) that require prompt evaluation of problems and actions to resolve IT/technology issues
- Assess and determine next steps/correct critical break/fix issues to ensure continuity of service
- Translate consulting analysis into an actionable plan, and deliver projects/assignments that have a direct impact on departmental goals and objectives
- Remain current with and understand new and emerging technologies
- Where a benefit to department or college programs is perceived, encourage and assist in the adoption of such new technologies
- Perform other duties as assigned; Metrics, documentation & reporting
- Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering/Technology, computer science or related field
- 4 years’ professional experience in coordinating technology capabilities (core IT to emerging tech) across an organization
- Experience with hardware maintenance of advanced computer peripherals and networking systems
- In lieu of degree consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of related education and required experience (Associate + 6 years of related experience; HS diploma/GED + 8 years of related experience)
- Knowledge of one or more of the following: Windows (Win7, Win10), MacOS, and/or Linux
- Strong technical aptitude
- Possesses an innovation and collaboration mindset
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Strong desire to learn and adapt to rapidly changing technologies
- Strong time management and data collection (reporting) skills
- Strong teamwork skills; flexible; highly motivated
- Valid U.S. or Canadian drivers license
- Occasional travel to Agricultural Centers throughout the state
- Experience in negotiating conflict and problem-solving to achieve positive outcomes and demonstrated proficiency in working with a diverse group of people from faculty to technical partner
- Experience implementing and using advanced hardware such as unmanned aerial vehicles, wireless networking technologies, and Internet of Things devices, experience in Digital Ag and emerging Ag Tech
- 3 years of experience in one or more of the following areas- Windows, MacOS, Linux systems administration
- Ability to work with a wide variety of computer hardware, software, operating systems, peripherals, etc.
- Basic familiarity with server and application management, coding, scripting, and web services
- Familiarity with software deployment, IT security best practices, and basic networking principles
- This position will have a hybrid work schedule
- All new hires will be expected to follow Protect Purdue guidelines. To learn more, visit https://bit.ly/3DH3z6f
- Purdue will not sponsor an employment related visa for this position.
- A background check will be required for employment.
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible for Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contribution Waiting Period.
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.