BUSINESS: Purdue Research Foundation
POSITION TYPE: Full-time
START DATE: Immediate Availability
- Lead efforts to advance a variety of Purdue technologies from lab to market via product development efforts (advance from low-TRL technology to high-TRL product) to enhance licensing efforts to industry and startups.
- Assist inventors with understanding steps required to take a technology from the laboratory to the market – including prototyping, sourcing, costing, scaling, industrial design, and beta testing.
- Lead efforts to identify Purdue technologies which would benefit most from product development engagement.
- Be able to work with a breadth of technology domains and have an appetite to learn and navigate product development activities for technologies not as familiar with by utilizing consultants and third parties.
- Meet regularly with OTC Business Development Managers to assess Purdue technologies and identify candidates that would benefit from prototyping or other product development activities.
- Consult with Purdue startups on product development methodologies and milestones.
- Assist Purdue startups in accessing product development resources, including advising on applicability and availability of Gap funds (in concert with Gap Funding Manager, Incubator).
- Work directly with Purdue resources to marshal resources to advance technologies to product.
- Manage relationships with contract manufacturers and product development companies to assist with prototyping and scaling.
- Work with Program Manager, Incubator to create and deliver workshops and/or other programs that would benefit the startup and commercialization ecosystems at Purdue.
- Report on and achieve specified metrics relative to product development activities.
- Prepare materials for meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent communication skills, including oral, written, and proofreading skills.
- Strong organizational and planning skills with the ability to manage multiple projects at once.
- Product development experience – preferably skills such as prototyping, sourcing, costing, scaling, industrial design, and beta testing.
- Familiarity with CAD software, 3D printing, and other rapid prototyping tools.
- Ability to perform with minimal supervision, prioritize assignments to meet deadlines, and produce high-quality work with attention to detail.
- Ability to take initiative and solve problems while being flexible.
- Ability to influence and build working relationships among a diverse workforce at all levels.
- Demonstrated good judgment, diplomacy, persuasive ability, and the ability to inspire confidence and cooperation to drive positive results within and across the organization’s boundaries.
- Strong understanding of intellectual property.
- Personal computer and related basic Microsoft Office skills.
- Familiarity with CRM tools like Salesforce or database management systems such as Sophia.
- In person attendance for events is required.
- Bachelor’s degree required (MS or PhD preferred).
- 8+ years’ experience required.
- Experience in product development, especially physical products and manufacturing.