Process Development Engineer – Continuous Flow Technology
Location: Indianapolis, Global Business Headquarters
Company: Corteva Agriscience
Top Reasons Why You Want to Work for Corteva as a Biological Formulation Scientist:
- We provide numerous opportunities to build your skills.
- Be part of a company with a higher purpose and contribute to making the world a better place
- We offer a wealth of learning and development resources.
- 401k company match
- Company Bonus Plan
- 4 weeks of paid time off to start & paid holidays
- 16 weeks of Parental Leave
Corteva Agriscience™ has an exciting opportunity for a Process Development Scientist – Continuous flow technology, a high impact, high visibility role within Small Molecule Discovery and Development (SMDD) R&D located at Corteva’s global headquarters in Indianapolis, IN. This research position is focused on continuous flow technology development efforts for pipeline molecules as well as converting batch processes in the existing manufacturing process to continuous. Process Development connects process technologies to manufacturing opportunities and the business units that implement them. Process development is the definition of chemical steps and engineering conditions to produce quality products reliably and cost-effectively, essentially orchestrating a set of unit operations into a manufacturing process. The processes thus developed must be safe, robust, reliable and low-cost to meet the quality and purity requirements of the agricultural industry. The group works closely with process chemistry, product chemistry, commercial implementation, and manufacturing to ensure that new products are supplied on time and within customer expectations. The activities for this role will be focused on: the development of new continuous process technologies for a variety of unit operations, designing and building capabilities for lab development, developing scale-up strategies, and improvements/conversion of existing manufacturing processes.
Process Development Engineer – Continuous Flow Technology– Job Responsibilities:
- Co-develop manufacturing processes and unit operations with process research chemists to meet business needs and timelines utilizing knowledge of engineering fundamentals.
- Apply operating discipline and safe operating procedures for experimental programs, including Reactive Chemicals/Process Hazard Analysis reviews.
- Advocate for innovative applications of continuous flow technology [High Throughput Experimentation, biocatalysis, electrochemistry, photochemistry, self-optimizing reactor platforms, process analytical technologies (PAT)] to solve process problems and drive improvements in sustainability, process efficiency, safety, and cost of manufacturing
- Develop the theoretical, experimental, and computational knowledge/ understanding associated with various unit operations to accurately scale-up/scale-down to solve lab and commercial scale problems.
- Develop technology packages and transfer the lab technologies to internal pilot plants and commercial manufacturing facilities
- Connect cross-functionally to deliver sample synthesis campaigns for active ingredients (~10 kgs)
- Collaborate on new technology developed in partnership with vendors to provide effective solutions to technologies or scale-up issues
- Improve the technical or scientific capabilities of the department and routinely consult/answer questions on or resolve scientific/technical issues.
- Collaborate effectively in cross-functional teams to advance Corteva’s pipeline.
- Network extensively with other scientists and professionals outside the company/ department
What will You need as a Process Development Engineer – Continuous Flow Technology?
- Ph.D. degree in chemical engineering or a related field.
- 1-5 years of demonstrated accomplishments in process development & scale up of small molecules synthesis, especially in applying continuous processing technologies
- Strong knowledge in chemical engineering fundamentals (e.g. unit operations, separations, distillation theory, fluid mechanics & mixing or reaction engineering).
- Strong understanding of organic synthesis with the ability to perform multi-step organic syntheses, unit operations, purification, and compound characterization using various laboratory equipment and procedures.
- Experience with global teams to deliver samples, co-develop processes, and transfer technologies to meet business milestones
- Recognized within the scientific community for advancing continuous processing technologies to commercial scale via sustained publications in peer-reviewed journals/patents and a strong network within the industry
- A minimum requirement for this U.S.-based position is the ability to work legally in the United States.
Check out life at Corteva! https://www.linkedin.com/company/corteva/life
Ready to grow your perspectives, impact, and career? We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure we get the best, most creative talent on our team. Start by applying to this opportunity today!