Interested in joining a cause-driven, customer focused company dedicated to positively impacting the health of animals, people and the planet? Search our job listings below.
As a member of the Elanco Research and Breakthrough Innovation Laboratories, this position will be responsible for designing and implementing a holistic veterinary antibody research platform that encompasses technologies to discover, engineer, and optimize therapeutic veterinary monoclonal antibodies and biotherapeutics. Position will require assessment, design, and implementation of a protein/antibody display platform that can be used across multiple projects to enable biotherapeutic protein engineering and lead optimization. The incumbent will leverage contemporary and state-of-the-art technologies to minimize the hit to candidate timeline, while ensuring the right molecules are delivered the first time.
In addition, this position will require management of scientists in the protein engineering group, as well as collaboration with multiple discovery and core research laboratories at Elanco. The incumbent scientist will be expected to support multiple projects at any given time.
A proven track record in antibody and protein discovery and engineering, coupled with a desire to leave a lasting scientific legacy in animal health, will be required to proactively search for solutions in this discovery driven team.
Functions, Duties, Tasks:
- Manage and mentor individual contributor scientists in the antibody discovery, protein engineering, and biopharma lead optimization spaces
- Conceptualize, design, and manage implementation of protein/antibody display platforms, libraries, or similar systems for high to medium throughput functional screening of variants for affinity or thermostability optimization.
- Conceptualize, design, and manage implementation of methodologies for contemporary antibody discovery including single B-cell based approaches.
- Conceptualize, design, construct, and manage implementation of platform(s) for the engineering (e.g., identification and mitigation of biophysical & chemical liabilities, antibody species-conversion, biophysical stability, effector function, expression, framework selection, LC/HC pairing) of antibodies, biopharmaceuticals, and recombinant vaccine antigens.
- Develop vector sets and protocols for antibody engineering, including library design and construction, display platform optimization, panning/selection, and affinity determination.
- Establish partnerships with academic laboratories and human health biopharma to provide novel collaborative opportunities, build Elanco’s scientific brand, and embrace the concept of One Health
- Keep abreast of scientific literature in the field and implement novel modalities and protocols.
- Provide expertise in evaluation of new platform technologies.
- Proactively search for novel technologies or product opportunities to enable innovative technical solutions.
Basic Minimum Qualifications:
- Ph.D. degree in a relevant scientific discipline (molecular biology, chemical engineering, cellular biology, or biochemistry)
- 10 years of experience working on biopharmaceutical R&D projects in the human or animal health industries
- Demonstrated hands-on experience and knowledge of molecular biology techniques related to antibody/protein engineering including vector designs and display platforms
- Experience with protein/antibody display technology and/or automated high-throughput screening of protein/antibody variants.
- Effective oral and written communications skills.
- High personal ethical and quality standards.
- Exceptional problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Must be able to work productively in an interdisciplinary team environment
- Proven project leadership skills
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with protein structure modeling tools and structural biology guided protein engineering strategies
- Knowledgeable in engineering novel functionalities into antibodies
- Knowledgeable in functional engineering of enzymes, protein therapeutics, and subunit vaccine antigens
- Experience with analytical and developability assays/techniques for detailed antibody characterization
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status