PURPOSE AND SCOPE
We’re leaders. Innovators. Perfectionists. Constantly improving our products and practices, with our customers always at the forefront of everything we do. We’re the largest family-owned, retail seed company in the country and we’re looking for qualified leaders like you to help us grow. When you join Beck’s, you join a family. And it’s what we do together that sets us apart.
Are you a farmer at heart who’s passionate about helping farmers? If so, then this is the role for you. This position is responsible for the daily organizing, planning, managing, documenting, and reporting Practical Farm Research findings to the PFR Location Lead. This position is authorized to perform the steps necessary to ensure the responsibilities are met.
- Development of plot layouts for research studies planned for each season. Include name and purpose of the study, seed products and quantities of seed needed, other products or special equipment needed, and any other important information necessary for the successful completion of the study. Include a map showing the location of the proposed studies.
- Work directly with the PFR Equipment Maintenance Coordinator for obtaining the necessary farm and operating equipment needed to successfully complete the responsibilities.
- Maintain equipment in good working condition through regularly scheduled service and maintenance. Keep records of service and maintenance activities on all equipment in an easily accessible and organized file.
- Conduct the planning and application of all tillage, planting, spraying, mowing, cultivating, and fertilizer applications, as well as note taking, harvest and data collection.
- Collect accurate records of activities completed, date(s) completed, names and rates of products used, monthly rainfall, field and environmental conditions when the activities were being performed, and any other notes that would help track plot progress and diagnose future problems.
- Maintain plots in good visual condition during growing season through mowing, weeding, and tilling.
- Communicate with the PFR Data & Logistics Manager regarding sign shop needs. Acquire the appropriate signs, as determined by the PFR Location Lead, in a timely manner. Place them uniformly on plots, following consistent guidelines for numbering and lettering so signs look consistent and uniform.
- Coordinate the daily preparation of the PFR research facility, and organization of tours as deemed necessary by the PFR Location Lead.
- Supervise part time employees and interns that report to the PFR Technician.
- Any other duties as deemed necessary by the PFR Location Lead and or PFR Operations Manager.
Education and training:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Agronomy or other agricultural related field or equivalent work experience.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and insurable driving record as determined by Beck’s automobile insurance policy.
- This is a safety-sensitive position.
- Chauffer license or equivalent required.
- Basic computer and current software skills.
- Fork truck license.
- Currently have or have ability to obtain pesticide applicator license
- May be required to lift up to 70 pounds unassisted.
- Ability to pass DOT physical examination and obtain Medical Examiner’s Certificate may be required.
- Ability to operate field scale equipment such as combines, sprayers, tractors and planters required.
- Minimum two (2) years experience in agronomic field services or research.