The Technical Services & Manufacturing Sciences (TS/MS) team at Elanco Technology Center, Indianapolis plays a key role in continuous process and productivity improvements initiatives and support of Elanco’s network of manufacturing sites with a diverse portfolio of pharmaceutical and biotech products. This Poultry Vaccine Specialist role is ideal for the individual looking to make a meaningful impact while pursuing both their short- and long-term career goals. As a global leader in the animal health industry, Elanco offers a variety of career opportunities inside and outside of the Manufacturing & Quality function at exciting locations around the world.
Reporting to the Senior Director of the Elanco Tech Center, the incumbent will be responsible for providing technical and strategic direction for vaccine process optimization with a particular emphasis on the poultry vaccine projects within the Life Cycle Management (LCM) program. The incumbent will also support other platforms within the Biotech Network, including microbial fermentation and monoclonal antibodies. The incumbent will collaborate with Scientists/Engineers in multiple geographies to deliver on a technical agenda focusing on product innovation, portfolio expansion, and productivity.
The position is based in Indianapolis, with a vibrant community, a thriving life sciences industry and top-rated academic institutions.
- Technical and strategic leadership of poultry vaccine life cycle management (LCM) activities at the Elanco Tech Center. Responsibilities include:
- Designing, establishing, and sustaining the poultry vaccine core facility at the Elanco Tech Center
- Manage scope, deliverables, and timelines to facilitate delivery of LCM portfolio of poultry vaccine projects
- Design, conduct, and oversee the execution of laboratory experiments
- Assisting with the establishment of appropriate and relevant characterization assays to enhance process development and optimization activities for biologicals
- Utilize statistical modeling (DoE) approaches to deliver effective analytical solutions
- Explore and champion emerging technologies that may be applied to the biological’s portfolio
- Propose, gain support for, and implement technologies from the incumbent’s experience and knowledge to enhance process optimization of poultry vaccines
- Prepare verification and validation studies in accordance with current regulatory compliance
- Provide technical leadership to the network organization regarding process improvements, and troubleshooting
- Participate in manufacturing site investigations as needed, enhancing poultry vaccine knowledge, understanding and problem solving
- Coach and grow technical talent at ETC and across the network
- Write technical papers and reports in a timely fashion
- Utilize safe laboratory practices, lead in safety compliance and improvement
Basic Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biotechnology or related areas
- 2+ years of relevant experience in laboratory or manufacturing setting
- Experience with a variety of technologies and platforms is preferred including; poultry vaccine technologies, recombinant protein platforms, protein-based therapeutics, cell culture and fermentation technology
Additional Skills and Preferences:
- Experience with upstream production of viruses in either cell monolayers (T-175, cell factories), bioreactors and eggs
- Proven record of successfully troubleshooting vaccine processes
- Experience with biologicals manufacturing and aseptic manufacturing
- Knowledgeable in cell and egg-based assays for viral titrations
- Experience with monitoring and leading contract service provider relationships that support process improvements
- Lean manufacturing and six sigma experience
- Proven organization and time management skills to meet time sensitive deadlines, attention to detail, and collaboration in a team-based environment are essential.
- Personal attributes: self-starter; attentive to details; results oriented; accountable; respectful of others; committed while maintaining balance and perspective; good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with changing priorities, and flexibility to support multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to problem solve using innovative thinking and good decision making.
- Ability to influence people
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with areas inside and outside of Elanco
- Familiarity with Global Regulatory Standards (FDA, EU GMP, USDA)
- 0-10% Domestic and International travel
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status