Purdue University Institute for Plant Sciences looks for an inspired, energetic Post-doc to join the institute’s efforts in building state-of-the-art plant phenotyping data pipelines at Purdue University.
Location: Ag Alumni Seed Phenotyping Facility (AAPF), West Lafayette, IN
The responsibilities of the position
• To implement deep-learning-based image analysis algorithms to empower 3D traits extraction and quantification using images collected from multiple imaging platforms (e.g. CT-Xray imaging system, RGB imaging system) in AAPF
• To facilitate translation of the implemented algorithms into existing data pipe lines in AAPF to expand the capabilities and improve the efficiency in AAPF
• Provide leadership for projects with academic and industry partners. Contribute to leveraging the implemented methodologies in plant phenotyping projects. To document the progress by publishing in peer-reviewed journals
• Cooperate with managers of the plant phenotyping facilities in operation of multiple imaging systems and platforms, such as RGB, hyperspectral, and X-ray imaging system
• Provide technical support, guidance, coaching and training in image analysis to customers and partners. Communicate results to key stakeholders
• Ph.D. degree in Agricultural and Biosystem engineering, computer/electronic engineering, information technology, computational biology and other relevant background or proven hands-on experience in deep-learning and image analysis techniques
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills to work with plant biologists, IT support team, engineers and algorithm developers
• Knowledge and experience in deep-learning methodologies highly desirable
• Experience in application of machine vision technologies in biological studies
• Knowledge and experiences in multiple programming languages and platforms (e.g. Matlab, ImageJ, Python, C/C++, etc.)
Salary and Benefits: Salary commensurate with experience. Fringe benefits also provided.
Application Procedure: Qualified persons are requested to send a letter of application including a 1-page (maximum) statement of research goals, and a curriculum vitae as electronic PDFs along with email addresses for three references, and 1 representative example of their scholarly work to:
Dr. Yang Yang, Director of Digital Phenomics
Lilly Hall of Life Sciences , 2120
915 W. Mitch Daniel Blvd
West Lafayette, IN 47907
Purdue Institute for Plant Sciences information is available at:
Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.