As a leading global animal health company, Elanco delivers innovative products and services to improve the health of pets and farm animals around the world because we believe making animals’ lives better, makes life better. Since 1954, we have provided solutions that support veterinarians, farmers and pet owners to advance our vision of Food and Companionship Enriching Life. Elanco’s promise to employees: Together, we foster an inclusive culture where everyone can make a difference, encouraging ownership, growth and well-being.
Paralegal – Intellectual Property & Patent Management
Hybrid Work Location: Greenfield, IN (currently); Downtown Indianapolis, IN (Q1 2025)
Paralegal/Analyst, Intellectual Property (“IP”) & Patent Management will handle base level legal forms/agreements and provide patent and trademark support to IP legal colleagues, under the direction of legal counsel, support IP Review Committees (IRCs), and support the IP team in various other aspects. In this role, you will work with other legal colleagues to fulfill our operations mission for assigned strategic department initiatives in the area. This role will liaise with leaders of other corporate functions such as R&D, Business Development, and Legal Operations.
- Maintain IP database and docketing systems
- Coordinate, develop, manage and implement global patent and brand protection strategies with responsible IP legal attorneys and business stakeholders
- Develop and maintain good working and cohesive relationships with business stakeholders in marketing, sales, communications, quality, and business development
- Coordinate, develop, and implement IP litigation support with responsible IP legal attorneys
- Facilitate and manage contract drafting and negotiations support for the R&D business including CDAs, MTAs, Research Agreements
- Manage, coordinate and facilitate IP innovation and enforcement education for business clients
- Manage, coordinate and facilitate bi-annual review/update of virtual patent marking (VPM) with responsible IP legal attorneys
- Participate as a contributing member to IP Review Committees (IRCs) providing IP Innovation, brand integrity and enforcement perspective to project decisions
- Support IP litigation process as needed
- Handle miscellaneous IP including both patent and trademark work as assigned by various members of the Elanco IP team
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree or High School Diploma/ GED with equivalent level of experience
- Experience: Minimum 5-8 years’ experience as an IP paralegal or directly engaged in similar legal support role
- Prior experience in either a public company legal department or a law firm handling IP matters
- Exceptional organizational skills; detail-oriented and proactive.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize projects, working well under pressure to meet specific deadlines.
- Impeccable integrity and accountability.
- Service oriented.
- Work well under pressure to meet specific deadlines.
- Technically savvy, proficient in Microsoft Office and able to learn new software systems quickly.
- Possesses clear and concise verbal and written communication skills
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Elanco Animal Health does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this position.
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status