Corteva Agriscience has an exciting and challenging opportunity for an Operations Leader for the Herbicides Formulations and Packaging manufacturing facility (489 Building) located in Midland, Michigan.
The Midland Herbicides F&P facility produces several high value herbicide products for Corteva Agriscience. The HF&P plant produces and packages liquid herbicide formulations. The facility also produces Phenoxy Technicals from the 2,4-D active ingredient produced at the neighboring 948 Building.
This role is suited for someone with a solid manufacturing and engineering background who is well organized and a strong communicator. The position includes the opportunity to gain people leader experience through Operations Leadership of 14 bargained-for employees. The Operations Leader works closely with the team of operators and staff, displaying strong technical and team-building skills. The role has shared responsibility and accountability for the plant assets, personnel, and achievement of the plant related business goals. The Operations Leader also exhibits very strong field presence, serving as an influential leader for everyone across the block, which can be close to 70 people during peak season.
Responsibilities of this role include:
• Provides administrative leadership and coaching to Operations. (i.e. role clarity and expectations, compensation, employee development, deployment, recognition systems, etc.)
• Works with Production Leader in driving plant performance and long-term strategy.
• Ensures necessary operator staffing is in place to meet production requirements and achieve the plant specific business goals.
• Demonstrates leadership with strong field presence by spending time in the control room and field performing safety interactions, Core Standard observations, permit approvals, etc.
• Applies performance management, coaching and career development effectively for the shift operators (summarizing and delivering feedback, setting and reviewing goals with operators)
• Recognizes personnel for both behavior and performance and leads the facility People Team.
• Participates in the development and the communication of the plant strategy/objectives/goals.
• Encourages all team members to develop and maintain an employee development plan.
• Ensures implementation and ongoing effectiveness of global work processes, operating discipline, management systems, enabling technologies and roles.
• Creates an environment that fosters team and individual empowerment. Ensures effective and sustained organizational culture for empowerment.
• Promotes 5S and good housekeeping within the department.
• Coaches plant personnel and personally participates to meet Business and plant goals (EH&S, quality, production, cost).
• Promotes use of Most Effective Technology and specific Operating Discipline requirements.
• Acts as a primary back-up to the Production Leader.
• Reviews and approves Level 1 and 2 MOCs.
• Tracks key performance metrics that are related to the Shift Operators. (e.g., overtime, skill development, training, personal goal achievement, etc.).
• Monitors operations and provide feedback and coaching to achieve production goals based on shift operator related issues.
• Drives and develops the culture to capture unplanned events and acts to prevent them.
• Performs RCI facilitation for the department as needed.
• Serves as influential leader supporting the procedure use culture within the facility.
• Leads / participates in facility teams as necessary.
• Prepares for and participates in key reviews and audits (such as RCPHA, EHS&S audits, PSM/RMP audits, etc.).
• Participates in plant Process Safety activities (LPP, LOPA, MOC process safety reviewer) and serves as Process Safety Focal Point.
• Approves permits associated with EHS&S Standards where necessary.
• Participates in the on-call rotation for Herbicides Formulations and Packaging.
This position is technically challenging and an excellent opportunity for someone to apply and expand their leadership skills while improving their knowledge of Corteva business and interactions. This role will also provide opportunities to obtain a deeper understanding of people leadership and other valuable experience.
• Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
• Minimum 5-8 years manufacturing experience with demonstrated interpersonal and leadership skills preferred.
• Requires excellent leadership, communication, planning and organizational skills.
• Must have the ability to work with diverse work groups and business stakeholders.
• Must have knowledge of Operate Plant Work Process, Management Systems, and Maintenance Work Processes to ensure department success.
• A minimum requirement for this U.S. – based position is the ability to work legally in the United States on a permanent basis.
Let’s peek at how you can grow your wellbeing, health, and future at Corteva!
• Strike a better work-life balance with robust time off benefits including paid maternity, paternal and family illness leave
• Prepare for your future with our competitive retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement program, and more
• Enjoy access to health benefits for you and your family on your first day of employment
• And much, much more!
Ready to grow your perspectives, impact and career? Start by applying to this opportunity today!
Corteva Agriscience ™ serves to enrich the lives of those who produce and those who consume, ensuring progress for generations to come. Our employees fulfill this purpose everyday by building/participating in an inclusive culture where we encourage each other to stay curious, think differently, act boldly and do what’s right for our customers, our co-workers, our partners and our planet. With over 20,000 team members from 130 countries, innovating in 140 world class R&D facilities, we have the resources, leadership heritage and partner ecosystem to make a meaningful impact now and into the future.