Schedule: The Intern will be able to experience all aspects of natural resource management by being included in planning and development of projects and daily maintenance of the parks natural resources. This will enable the Intern to get a well-rounded experience in all facets of operation. The Intern will also have a special project to plan and develop during the Internship. This project will be evaluated by professional staff and be presented to the Park Board at the end of the 12-16 week schedule.
The Intern will work an average of 40 hours per week including some weekends and evenings, dependent upon availability and school curriculum to qualify for course credit. Normal hours will be from 7AM to 3:30PM.
Supervisors: The Natural Resources Manager will work with the Intern to establish the outline of the Internship Program and will meet regularly throughout the program to evaluate and discuss the Intern’s progress. These discussions will include any changes, which need to be made to the outline of the program and any problems, which the Intern might be incurring. The Intern will also report to the Natural Resources Manager for daily assignments.
The Natural Resource Technician will assist in field supervision of the Intern.
- Administrative responsibilities
- Budget processes/Management of fiscal resources
- Risk management
- Ecological restoration
- Invasive species management
- Mixing and applying herbicides
- Native seed collecting
- Native seeding and planting
- Native pollinator and rain garden management
- Plant identification
- Maintenance best practices
- Urban forestry
- Tree identification
- Tree care and planting
- Tree inventory management using TreeKeeper® software
- Coordinating and assisting with volunteer projects
- Interpretive nature-based programing
- Developing and presenting programs to the public
- General grounds, facility and landscape maintenance
- Turf management
- Trash removal
- Trail maintenance
- Cross-training with facility maintenance
- Daily operation, maintenance and repair of the Watermill Splash Pad
- Cleaning and maintenance of restrooms, rental facilities and park buildings
- Dog park maintenance
- Special event setup and assistance
- Expose student to the workings of a municipal parks and recreation department