The Office of Indiana State Chemist is looking for a highly motivated Microbiologist to join the Microbiology team. As the Microbiologist, you will support and perform routine microbiological assays. The successful candidate will have in-depth knowledge of lab procedures and understand the importance of maintaining a clean workspace by following all lab regulations for health and safety as well as adhering to correct procedures, policies, and safety guidelines for bio-safety level 2 laboratory practices. Additional duties will include but are not limited to:
- Performing routine or specialized procedures/tests of microbiological samples for microbial counts, antibiotic concentration determination, and pathogen detection
- Participating in section and laboratory team environment to solve problems, distribute information and work toward continual process improvement.
- Setting up laboratory microbiological tests which includes retrieving microbiological samples and preparing them for testing as appropriate
- Maintaining control bacteria and assay standards
- Assessing whether test results meet laboratory standards, document any quality issues, and ensure waste materials are properly discarded
- Reviewing and reporting the results of microbiological analyses in a timely manner
- identifying and communicating results that may require further investigation or discussion with the supervisor
- Play a large role in the upkeep of the laboratory; this can include managing lab inventory, preparing and cleaning lab instruments, ensuring all work areas are clean, and performing clerical duties as necessary
- Ordering supplies, tracking orders, and laboratory documents
- Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology or closely related
- Excellent aseptic and basic microbiological techniques
- Well-organized and very detail oriented
- Basic Microsoft worlds and Excel skills
- Problem solving, good communication and teamwork skills
- Continuously works at establishing a good rapport and cooperative working relationship with all co-workers
- All new hires will be expected to follow Protect Purdue guidelines. To learn more, visit https://bit.ly/3DH3z6f
- Purdue will not sponsor an employment related visa for this position.
- A background check will be required for employment.
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible for Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contribution Waiting Period.
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.