Corteva Agriscience is a leader in delivering novel and sustainable solutions for the future of agriculture. We are seeking a highly motivated Microbiologist to lead a bioactive discovery team located in Johnston, Iowa. The candidate will be responsible for the isolation, screening, and characterization of various strains towards the discovery of novel proteins. We are looking for candidates who enjoy being in a startup like atmosphere, working hands-on while simultaneously managing scientific/technical projects, as well as participating in broader project teams to enable downstream discovery activities.
How will you help us grow? It matters to us, and it matters to you!
- Design and execute strategies aimed to discover novel bioactive leads via techniques of microbiology, biochemistry, computational biology, and molecular biology.
- Lead and manage a research team.
- Set research goals for projects and team members; evaluate employees’ performance; and guide researchers’ career development.
- Monitor research progress, identify problems, and explore new approaches to achieve research goals.
- Communicate with research leadership and downstream teams on pipeline and progress.
- Coordinate internal and external collaborations.
- Improve and optimize lab processes.
- Analyze results and present research at various meetings.
- Write protocols, reports, manuscripts, and patent applications.
- Keep abreast with relevant technical developments and actively solicit/pursue ideas from all sources, including academia, competitive intelligence, and up-to-date literature.
What expertise have you grown? What do you bring to the table?
- Ph.D. in microbiology, pathology, computational biology, or related fields with over 6 years of relevant experience. Postdoctoral or applicable industry experience desired; or
- MS in related fields with over 10 years of relevant experience.
Competencies and Qualifications:
- Keen interest in solving biological problems relevant to the industry. Specific knowledge of insecticidal protein discovery or herbicide tolerance mechanisms is highly desired.
- Extensive experience and knowledge in various techniques of bacterial and fungal isolation, cultivation, characterization and screening.
- Extensive experience on bioassay development.
- Broad knowledge of microbiome profiling, enrichment and application of modern sequencing technologies for gene identification and isolation.
- A proven track record of creative scientific accomplishment as evidenced by a strong publication and/or patent record.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to present research to audiences at a variety of levels.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage various research teams and projects.
- Ability to optimize existing methods, troubleshoot, and develop new methods for difficult microbes.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and integrate new technologies into past research programs.
- Demonstrated proficiency at experimental design, data analysis, interpretation, and reporting.
- Knowledge of utilization of various gene/protein databases, bioinformatics tools, modern analytic instrumentations, and computer skills.
- Knowledge and experience on computational biology or lab automation is preferred.