Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join Cargill’s global team of 160,000 employees who are committed to safe, responsible and sustainable ways to nourish the world. This position is in Cargill’s food ingredients and bio-industrial business, where we anticipate trends around taste, nutrition and safety to innovate and provide solutions to manufacturers, retailers and foodservice companies.
Job Purpose and Impact
The Merchant II will contribute to handling a supplier base and fulfill transactions delivering commodities that meet production requirements and specifications in terms of timing, volume, quantity and cost. We seek a professional who will help buy and sell commodities from/to country elevators, producers, feed mills and processors. Will be responsible for working in a dynamic work environment that requires a strong focus on originating corn at the lowest cost to Cargill, and works in coordination with our Starches, Sweeteners & Texturizers North America (CSSTNA) Merchant team and Cargill Agricultural Supply Chain North America (CASCNA) Sales Team..
- Collaborate with transportation and logistics, quality assurance, customer managers and credit manager to ensure efficient execution.
- Responsible for the grain origination in to the Cargill Agricultural Supply Chain North America (CSSTNA) facility in Hammond, IN and (CASCNA) facility in Burns Water Harbor, IN.
- Plan purchases and transportation to maximize profitable use of stock and storage facilities.
- Enter routine data and run specialty reports from our contract management databases and systems.
- Research and analyze various freight opportunities in the marketplace to maximize margin.
- Work directly with customers, suppliers and business counterparts to meet their needs in solving routine problems, and addressing complaints and concerns.
- Independently solve moderately complex issues with minimal supervision, while escalating more complex issues to appropriate staff.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field OR equivalent experience
- Minimum of two years of related work experience
- Understanding of logistics management and grain flows.
- Flexibility to work off-hour activities and events as necessary including, but not limited to corn harvest, producer marketing meetings, etc.
- Commodity trading and/or risk management experience.
Location: Hammond, IN (greater Chicago area)
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet