Your Role: Medical Affairs Specialist – Parasitology, US Pet Health
The Medical Affairs Specialist is responsible for coordinating and providing technical consulting and educational activities to support the company’s sales, marketing and R&D objectives. Within the Elanco US Pet Health Organization, the specialist serves as a companion animal veterinary technical anchor and provides support to the commercial affiliate for all pre-launch, launch, and post-launch activities as deemed appropriate for the department. At the direction of the brand marketing team, the specialist delivers high-quality medical education via live and virtual events and serves as an important speaker at specialty, national, and international conferences. They represent Elanco and their respective product category on boards, committees, and leadership teams of professional organizations. They are an internal disease state and subject matter expert. They are recognized internally and externally as a thought leader through their influence with key industry organizations, deep medical and scientific expertise, and experience delivering education to a wide range of audiences. They maintain close working relationships with external specialty colleagues in private, academic, and corporate practice. The specialist’s internal influence is extensive, and they are relied upon to deliver expert medical knowledge to marketing, field sales, field veterinary teams, R&D, business development, and senior leadership. Their consultation is expected to drive today’s key marketing initiatives and ensure Elanco maintains the appropriate strategy for the future. Frequent domestic travel (approximately 60%) and occasional international travel are required.
- At the direction of the department director and brand and medical strategy teams, represent Elanco to veterinarians, professional organizations, and strategic partners
- Serve as a key product advocate and representative of Elanco values to veterinary customers
- Develop innovative, engaging, and balanced medical education presentations on disease state and product categories that are of strategic importance to Elanco
- Be sought-after for presentations at customer facing events including breakfast/lunch/dinner meetings, and specialty, national and international conferences
- Together with the director, identify and actively participate in key industry organizations, committees, and boards
- Support corporate and strategic accounts teams through targeted presentations or consults with medical leadership and decision makers
- Support field sales and field veterinary teams through key customer visits, consulting, and responding to customer requests for in-depth advice and knowledge
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with academic, industry, corporate and private practice key opinion leaders, in your own and associated specialties
- In coordination with the department director, serve as a trusted medical advisor and disease state expert to teams across Elanco’s commercial, strategy, and research organizations
- Provide timely, accurate, and sophisticated knowledge to technical marketers to inform industry leading medical strategy
- Collect and evaluate for probability of technical success, ideas for investigator initiated trials, marketing studies and life cycle management activities and review feasibility with technical marketer
- When requested, create and deliver disease state and advanced product knowledge training for field sales and veterinary teams
- Serve on launch teams, providing the voice of the specialist, and providing technical feedback to inform positioning work done by technical marketer and brand manager
- Work closely with research and development to inform innovation target areas and target product profiles
- Provide technical expertise to indication teams from early research through clinical development, including providing feedback on model development, clinical site selection, and study design based on feasibility and impacts to label indications
- Provide consultation to business development and external innovation teams, assessing target viability and potential
- Be able to influence at all levels of the business
- Progress disease state and specialty expertise and maintain authority to influence
- Monitor scientific publications and conferences for scientific advancements and competitive information. Assess and distribute this information to technical marketing, field veterinary and R&D colleagues
- Where appropriate serve on professional committees to review and draft modern treatment guidelines
- Continuously develop presentation and adult education skills to ensure key messaging is heard and received by customers
- Travel commitment will average 60% but may be higher at times due to new product introductions or other special activities.
What You Need to Succeed (minimum qualifications):
- Education: Graduate of an AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) accredited veterinary program with the corresponding veterinary degree. Licensed or eligible to be licensed to practice veterinary medicine in the United States.
- Required Experience: A minimum of 5 years experience as a practicing veterinarian in companion animal or mixed animal practice (companion animal focus) although consideration may also be given for experience in comparable industry roles. The practice experience may be in private, corporate, and/or academic environments.
- Board certification (or board eligible status)
What will give you a competitive edge (preferred qualifications):
- Solid knowledge of companion animal market, products, and related medical conditions with sound clinical and diagnostic skills.
- Strong written, communication and interpersonal skills, including excellent speaking and presentation skills.
- Additional industry experience is desirable.
- Familiarity with the regulatory requirements associated with reporting and follow-up on adverse event reports.
- Keen planning skills and the ability to execute.
- Ability to work and coordinate activities effectively with others.
- Strong background of training and education in key areas of Elanco product categories.
- Location: Global Elanco Headquarters – Greenfield, IN – Hybrid Work Environment – Relocation available