Who are we, and what do we do? At Corteva Agriscience, you will help us grow what’s next. No matter your role, you will be part of a team that is building the future of agriculture – leading breakthroughs in the innovation and application of science and technology that will better the lives of people all over the world and fuel the progress of humankind.
The Bioprocess Science and Technology team (BPS&T) is seeking a Media Preparation Lab Scientist to lead experiments to deepen understanding of microbial media and its impact on fermentation processes. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to design and execute experiments, and coordinate with the media preparation, fermentation and analytical labs and other stakeholders. The media experiments explore aspects related to chemistry, biology and engineering requiring a candidate to have a strong technical background and a propensity to expand their knowledge through collaborating with peers and reading scientific literature. A fundamental understanding of media preparation methods, such as aseptic technique and operation of sterilization equipment, such as autoclaves, mediaclaves or sterilize-in-place pressure vessels is preferred but can be learned in the role. The role will be responsible for documenting experimental results through use of an electronic lab notebook, report writing and presentations to stakeholders. In addition to the experimental portions of this role, the scientist will also be involved in the operations of the media preparation lab, such as leading improvement projects and programming of liquid handling equipment. During times of peak demand, this role will also support the production of media orders.
How will you help us grow? It matters to us, and it matters to you!
- Design and execute experiments involving media preparation conditions, such as sterilization method, time, temperature, pH and composition.
- Coordinate experiments with collaborating researchers such as fermentation scientists
- Document results in lab notebook, reports and presentations
- Support day to day lab operations particularly during peak demand times, which includes preparing media orders and operating equipment
- Develop and maintain Standard Operating Procedures
- Identify opportunities to improve the safe operation of the lab and maintain a strong commitment to safety
- Identify improvements to increase lab efficiency and implement solutions
- Operate lab equipment including automation, such as agar plate fillers and liquid handling robotics
What expertise have you grown? What do you bring to the table?
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Engineering or related field
- Knowledge and experience with experimental design and data analysis
- Strong communication skills to lead experiments across lab groups and present results to internal stakeholders
- Skills to troubleshoot technical challenges using the scientific method
- Propensity for learning and continuous improvement
- Experience with aseptic technique, such as pipetting sterile media, pouring agar plates and other operations in sterile enclosures (biosafety cabinets, laminar flow hoods, etc.)
- Familiarity with sterilization methods, such as autoclaves, mediaclaves and/or sterilize-in-place (SIP) pressure vessels
- Experience or interest in programming for occasional automation equipment method development is preferred
Let’s peek at how you can grow your wellbeing, health, and future at Corteva!
- Strike a better work-life balance with robust time off benefits including paid maternity, paternal and family illness leave
- Prepare for your future with our competitive retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement program, and more
- Enjoy access to health benefits for you and your family on your first day of employment
- And much, much more!
Ready to grow your perspectives, impact and career? Start by applying to this opportunity today!
Corteva Agriscience™ is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to boldly embracing the power of inclusion, diversity, and equity to enrich the lives of our employees and strengthen the performance of our company, while advancing equity in agriculture. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other protected class. Discrimination, harassment and retaliation are inconsistent with our values and will not be tolerated.